New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just installed Ubuntu running ASSP Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy with clamd and all the necessary perl libs.
    Though I was told that ASSP needed 100MB, I was unsure how much memory it would need to function in my setup, so I set up the VM with 512MB.

Without any traffic hitting it, only 5MB of the 512MB was available. Odd I thought.

Now with traffic of around 3,500 messages a day, during the day I see it has the same 5MB available (though right now at 10:45pm it has about 245MB available)

Obviously traffic changes second-to-second but how would I best tell how much memory I really need?

Thanks for any pointers.

Thanks
    Hi Alex and welcome to the Lounge!

I have never used ASSP Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy with clamd, but I would think the memory usage you are seeing is due to cacheing of the memory to improve performance. That could very well be the reason you see only 5 MB of memory available most of the time you check.

If you do not see a performance hit or slowdowns during the day then that is probably what is going on. Perhaps there are some more detailed utilities available for Ubuntu that can show you how your 512 MB of memory is being allocated at any given time (like some of the functionality of Windows Task Manager).
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gerald.

I did a little searching and I suspect vmstat will give me enough info to figure out where I need to be