Lounger
    Thanks
    We are on an AT&T Exchange using a mix of Outlook 2003 and 2007. All XP Pro SP computers.
    Yesterday a user could not attach a pdf file to an email. When he tries, Outlook locks up so bad he has to use task manager to start over.
    He can attach Word docs and jpegs with no problem. He can right click on a pdf file and say send no problem.
    I ran repairs on Office 2007, Acrobat Reader 9.3 and ran SFC /scannow to no effect.

His computer is fairly new HP xw4600 workstation 4GB RAM.

The only thing I haven't investigated is the program he used to make the pdf's CuteWriter, I am not familiar with that program at all.

It may be an AT&T issue, we had authentification issues earlier in the week.

User turned in a Help Desk Ticket yesterday and I was hoping to figure it out before they respond.

Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Often Outlook "lockups" are due to addins.

Do you have an anti-virus Outlook addi-in?

Have you tried running Outlook with addins disabled?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP,
    I am sorry, where can I find Addins? Either he doesn't have any or I'm looking in the wrong place. I searched all over Tools\Options.

I found thias at the Outlook Solution Center:
    In Outlook, click Options on the Tools menu.
    Click the Other tab, click Advanced Options, and then click Add-In Manager.
    Click to clear the Exchange Scan check box, click OK, and then click OK.
    Click OK.
    2007 doesn't have Add-In Manager??

We all have: Outlook Personal Folders Backup, but he is the only one seeing this experiencce at this time.

On my toolbar I have Adobe Acrobat "Create PDF" and i have Start meeting, but the only thing different I could find on his was a google Desktop Search. I unchecked that and it still locks up with only Normal checked.

We used ATF-Cleaner and Deleted All, no help.

Thanks
    You can find the addins in Outlook 2007 under Tools|Trust Center.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry,
    Other than the Google Desk Search Toolbar I didn' see any unuusal add-ins. The add-ins are seen in the attached jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jam View Post
    The only thing I haven't investigated is the program he used to make the pdf's CuteWriter, I am not familiar with that program at all.
    CutePDF Writer is a free print-to-PDF printer driver based on the GhostScript encoding engine. Once Writer has created the file, it should have no further role; it cannot read or edit PDFs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Other than the Google Desk Search Toolbar I didn' see any unuusal add-ins. The add-ins are seen in the attached jpeg
    Is the Google Toolbar up-to-date? It has been known to do some wierd things in the past.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Is the Google Toolbar up-to-date? It has been known to do some wierd things in the past.
    I'm pretty sure that problems with PDF files and the Google TB are a specific known issue with an older version of Google TB, Googling it should show the issue. If the OP is not using it, disable it; if he is, he should update it.

Edit: maybe this was it http://www.infoworld.com/d/applicati...-tool-apps-987
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks
    Let me try again. I added reply three times and it didn't show up, so if there is a triple post please excuse me.

Our Help Desk suggested that the users profile might be corrupt, so I logged in and created an email account and was able to use the paperclip to attach pdfs.

My own thought is that his Outlook Temporary folder for attachments might be full. We used to use a program called outlooktempcleanertool, however the first time we tried it on 2007 it wiped out the install.
    So if anyone knows where the folder that holds these files is please let me know and I will try that first.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Let me try again. I added reply three times and it didn't show up, so if there is a triple post please excuse me.

Our Help Desk suggested that the users profile might be corrupt, so I logged in and created an email account and was able to use the paperclip to attach pdfs.

My own thought is that his Outlook Temporary folder for attachments might be full. We used to use a program called outlooktempcleanertool, however the first time we tried it on 2007 it wiped out the install. So if anyone knows where the folder that holds these files is please let me know and I will try that first.
    Peter, your original post appeared at its core to be this question:

> Yesterday a user could not attach a pdf file to an email. When he tries, Outlook locks up so bad he has to use task manager to start over.

Then in http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...dpost&p=832363 you showed the add-ins and Loungers commented on issues with the Google TB. Have you looked at those replies?

Finally, if you suspect the problem is TIF capacity, look at this thread: http://bro.ws/773466L
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded Google Desktop Search again and it said it was the same version, did I want to run a repair. I said yes and that did not help.

So I created a new profile, Outlook1 and made it default, and that didn't help.

Lounger
    Thanks
    PS forgot, I found the secure outlook temp file from that link above and it was empty. Rather suspcious I think.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded Google Desktop Search again and it said it was the same version, did I want to run a repair. I said yes and that did not help.
    You stated "I unchecked that and it still locks up with only Normal checked." I assume you mean that you unchecked/disabled the Google TB Add-in listed in the graphic to your post http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...dpost&p=832363 and it made no difference. Several add-ins are listed in that attachment, and none of them is called "Normal", so it's not clear what you did.
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks
    johnBF,
    Sorry if I was unclear.
    In the Google Desktop Search i unchecked Goole DesktopSearch and did not unchecl Normal. There were two check boxes in the addin.
    would it be worthwhile uninstalling google Desktop Search to see if that removed the problem?

I plan to create a new windows profile Monday and copy his Docs, pst, favorites,desktop etc over.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    would it be worthwhile uninstalling Google Desktop Search to see if that removed the problem?
    Yes, try it.
    UTC -7ąDS