New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    I've been looking for an external USB soundcard that allows me to use my microphone, use stereomix, and has line-in functionality since I enjoy recording from external sources. That's it. That's basically all I need, so info on a relatively cheap card that can do these things well would be much appreciated. The soundcard on my vista laptop is absolutely horrible and lacks these basic features. I really hope some of you can help as I have no idea what to buy. Thanks guys!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohandy Rodriguez View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been looking for an external USB soundcard that allows me to use my microphone, use stereomix, and has line-in functionality since I enjoy recording from external sources. That's it. That's basically all I need, so info on a relatively cheap card that can do these things well would be much appreciated. The soundcard on my vista laptop is absolutely horrible and lacks these basic features. I really hope some of you can help as I have no idea what to buy. Thanks guys!
    For some reason related to the RIAA control of the music industry and imposing rules on what people are allowed to do, Vista is generally shipping with restricted functionality on Soundcards. As a result of theirf lobbying , Stereo Mix is often disabled.

Before you buy yourself a new soundcard, try this.

Go to the sound controller in Control Panel and right click. to bring up the properties.
    Select 'Display Disabled Devices' and 'Display Disconnected Devices'

This may well bring up the missing 'Stereo Mix' device, which you can then enable.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Gfamily
    yup I've tried that in the past. Perhaps I should've clarified. my card has stereomix, but it sounds all distorted and is quite unusable. also it doesn't support line-in which is a feature that even my extremely old XP computer had. Since this machine is a laptop, I'll need an external card. I've even tried registry hacks and it made no difference. The only options that show up for my soundcard are microphone and stereomix, and vista won't even let me use both simultaneously. If you know of any cards, please let me know as I'm quite desperate hehe.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using this usb sound device called Musical SX from Creative for 2 years. It has 2 line in, 1 line out, 1 SPDIF in, 1 jack each for headphone & mike. Adjust level for input & headphone usage & volume control. I have one more set which I used as an amplifier for my Dvd player & TV. You can connect 5.1 series speakers too. It's reasonably priced too.
    Intel CoreI7 P55/ 8Gb 1600 RAM DDR3/ NV GTS 570 1Gb PCIe/ HDD X 3 = 6TB/SSD x 1 128GB/ BDRW X 2/DVDRW x 2/ Corsiar 850W PSU & running on Win10 Pro 64bit