New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all
    I have encountered a strange problem while trying to do a custom install of Windows 7 on an XP SP3 machine.Just as a note I have done this successfully more than once,but this particular PC will not get past setting up the temp files needed to install.I get the "Windows could not retrieve information about your disks" error.Now I know the fix for this is to enable "Virtual Disk Service" in services.msc,the problem being that there is no "Virtual Disk Service" to enable.Any thoughts on this?
    The machine in should be able to run Windows 7 according to the "Adviser" so I'm stumped.
    Thanks Pat

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you trying to install Win7 in a virtual machine or upgrade XP to Win7?

According to Virtual Disk Service Programming Guide (Windows), the service is not supported on XP.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Trying to do a custom fresh install of Win 7 on an XP machine.Did a lot of google searching for the error and that's basically all I could find.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Trying to do a custom fresh install of Win 7 on an XP machine.Did a lot of google searching for the error and that's basically all I could find.
    Are you sure there is enough free disk space for all files to be extracted and decompressed?
    Do you have any unusual RAID hardware in the machine?

Maybe you should backup important files and blow away the XP partition so nothing is there when the Windows installer starts up.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    120gb hard drive with a single partition.No RAID hardware at all.Won't boot from the install disk.When I try to boot from the disk I get the "cannot boot from CD: Code 5"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Guess I found the answer.Apparently the Win7 install disk won't work on some of the older AsRock motherboard unless you help it along.One of the Windows 7 forums has a long thread about it that I failed to see before.Thanks just the same Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Guess I found the answer.Apparently the Win7 install disk won't work on some of the older AsRock motherboard unless you help it along.One of the Windows 7 forums has a long thread about it that I failed to see before.
    You're welcome. Good luck with it. Let us know the results.

Joe
    Joe