Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I've upgraded my Word to version 2007 I'm unable to save to mapped drives or shared network location.

I get this error: "\\server\sharename\doc1.doc" cannot be found. Check your spelling, or try a different path." I get this when trying to save a new document. Not when I try to open a document in that location or when I try to save to an existing document in that location. So far as I can tell it's just saving a new document on that mapped drive or shared network location.

Doesn't matter if I save in Word 2007 .docx format or if I save in the older .doc format.

I'm not finding the answer on Google. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
    Daisy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Now that I've upgraded my Word to version 2007 I'm unable to save to mapped drives or shared network location.

I get this error: "\\server\sharename\doc1.doc" cannot be found.
    That error message is a head scratcher: if you are saving a document, why does it care that the file does not already exist?

Does this come up before the Save As dialog displays, or after you Save from that dialog?

Is this just native Word "Save As" functionality, or do you have some document management macros running?

4. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Does this come up before the Save As dialog displays, or after you Save from that dialog?

Is this just native Word "Save As" functionality, or do you have some document management macros running?
    It comes up after I use Save As dialog and press Save.

We don't use a document management system.

Same error with saving Excel 2007 docs so I assume all Office 2007 docs are effected.
    Daisy

Thanks
    It comes up after I use Save As dialog and press Save.
    Was the doc1.doc just an example or does the message really refer to doc1.doc?

Is it possible that there is a problem with permissions on that network share?

6. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Was the doc1.doc just an example or does the message really refer to doc1.doc?

Is it possible that there is a problem with permissions on that network share?
    That's just an example. Doesn't matter what I call the document.

The mapped network drives have full permission for everyone and the shared network location is where I point my My Documents folder and that has full permission for me. Plus, I'm a full administrator on the network. Not much I can't do from my profile. I did mention I can save locally? Like I can save to my Desktop which is on my workstation's hard drive.

Could this be something linked with the UNC?
    Daisy

7. Administrator
    Thanks
    The mapped network drives have full permission for everyone and the shared network location is where I point my My Documents folder and that has full permission for me. Plus, I'm a full administrator on the network. Not much I can't do from my profile. I did mention I can save locally? Like I can save to my Desktop which is on my workstation's hard drive.

Could this be something linked with the UNC?
    What operating system? Service Pack? Up-to-date with patches?

What Office service pack? Up-to-date with patches?

Joe

8. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    What operating system? Service Pack? Up-to-date with patches?

What Office service pack? Up-to-date with patches?

Joe
    Windows XP Pro SP3, current on updates.
    Just upgraded to Office 2007 SBE, current on updates. If there's a service pack for OL07 I haven't installed it. I don't think there is one, though.
    The desktop also have Computer Associates Etrust Antivirus 8.1, if that matters.
    Daisy

9. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note, I can open Explorer and move documents to these same mapped drives and shared network locations. Just not in Word.
    Daisy

Thanks
    I think we have to go to the venerable "[topic=197827]Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word[/topic]" to track this down.

Also, the nonsensical error message does call to mind one thing: you might check any server-side antivirus software quarantine logs to see whether the software is removing the file during the save process.

11. Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows XP Pro SP3, current on updates.
    Just upgraded to Office 2007 SBE, current on updates. If there's a service pack for OL07 I haven't installed it. I don't think there is one, though.
    The desktop also have Computer Associates Etrust Antivirus 8.1, if that matters.
    Download details: The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) has been available since April, 2009. I saw a few threads about troubles in Office 2007 with mapped drives but they mentioned Vista as the OS. I'd install SP-2 plus any hotfixes since SP-2 and then see what happens.

Joe

12. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Download details: The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) has been available since April, 2009. I saw a few threads about troubles in Office 2007 with mapped drives but they mentioned Vista as the OS. I'd install SP-2 plus any hotfixes since SP-2 and then see what happens.

Joe
    It says I already have it when I tried to install.
    Daisy

13. New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

I get this error: "\\server\sharename\doc1.doc" cannot be found. Check your spelling, or try a different path." I get this when trying to save a new document. Not when I try to open a document in that location or when I try to save to an existing document in that location. So far as I can tell it's just saving a new document on that mapped drive or shared network location.

Doesn't matter if I save in Word 2007 .docx format or if I save in the older .doc format.

I'm not finding the answer on Google. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
    I find I cannot save documents to any other drive but the c drive with word 2007.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I find I cannot save documents to any other drive but the c drive with word 2007.
    Do you get the same error message Daisy is getting? If it's a different message, what does it say?

15. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is probably the Anti Virus messing with Word saving to external drives. Trend AV is a definite and I believe some other AVs have the same problem.

Terry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    Trend AV is a definite and I believe some other AVs have the same problem.
    We have used Trend's SMB product on our servers for several years without encountering this error. Hopefully this means we aren't saving infected files, rather than forgetting to enable an important feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast