Thanks
    [WIN 7 (32) on Sony Vaio Laptop]

Accidentally added an icon (a url shortcut) to the GAMES window (the one that shows Solitare, Freecell, etc), probably by dragging.

Can't get rid of it.

Left click brings it up in the preview pane, no other info / actions available there
    Right click doesn't do anything (unlike the the other icons)
    Double click --- nothing
    Give focus and hit Del on the keyboard, nothing
    Can "click 'n drag" around the window, but can't drag off to the desktop. (Have used this technique to add / remove *real* games to/from this window).

Tried Find (search) of the file system, and a search for the name in the registry, but can't seem to locate where this info is stored.

I've seen one reference to *Games Explorer*, analogous to *Windows Explorer", but that led me nowhere. Is there such an animal? Obviously, the Games window is more than a folder displayed.

How can I delete this wayward icon?

And while we're at it, how can I pin GAMES to the taskbar, or at least make a desktop shortcut so I don't have to go thru Start?

..../Jack

Thanks
    I had icon problems a while back and found an Icon repair utility in Ultimate Windows Tweaker that repaired my problem. This sounds like it may be different but who knows. This tweaker is Tweak UI on steroids. Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Look in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Sta rt Menu\Programs\Games, where 'xxx' is you user id.

Hmm, deleting the entry from there still doesn't get rid of the icon from the Games Explorer. Try also selecting the icon and hitting the Delete key.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Look in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Sta rt Menu\Programs\Games, where 'xxx' is you user id.

Hmm, deleting the entry from there still doesn't get rid of the icon from the Games Explorer. Try also selecting the icon and hitting the Delete key.

The location doesn't have the games that come w/ win (solitare, minesweep, etc) but does have the ones I added --- with one exception --- you guessed it --- the url shortcut.

Also, as I said, highlight and hit delete key doesn't work on this icon --- it does work on others (e.g. links to exe's) tho.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try looking in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer. I was originally going to suggest that location but when I dragged something into the Games window it did not show up there but rather in the user's settings.

You can also try looking at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games. That's where most of the pre-installed game shortcuts are at.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Try looking in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer. I was originally going to suggest that location but when I dragged something into the Games window it did not show up there but rather in the user's settings.

This has all the shortcuts I added EXCEPT the URL icon I'm trying to remove

You can also try looking at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games. That's where most of the pre-installed game shortcuts are at.
    The rest of the [pre-installed] game icons are here.
    Thanks anyway.

.../Jack