New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use and need about 15 fonts, so would like the drop-down lists in all programs to be much, much shorter than they are now with some 600 fonts. A large number of fonts, Asian ones that I will never use, for example, are prottected from removal by the OS. Does anyone know how "protected" fonts can be removed completely from the system?

Nicholas......

Thanks
    Check through your installed software for extra language packs, It looks as though you managed to get more than you bargeined for.
    The default Windows 7 English language instal doesn't have anywhere near 600 fonts.
    MS Answers

I'm not quite sure what your getting at with how the drop down list in "all progams" relates to fonts.
    Please clarify
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The language packs were also a part of Windows Update. If you installed them rather than hiding them, you would see them in the fonts list as well. You may be able to get rid of them by going through Control Panel / Programs and Features to uninstall them. You may also be able to use an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller to help with this. Revo would help to clean up any orphaned items left behind by the uninstall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem not to have made myself clear: As an example

In the OpenOffice.org Writer window, there is a "Font Name" window
    in the Formatting Toolbar which produces a drop-down font list when
    clicked. The derop-down list contains all of the installed fonts.

Some fonts, such as the Asian fonts, are somehow protected by Win7
    and cannot be uninstalled.

It is these that I want to be able to uninstall. There is no information
    on the net about how to proceed to remove these "protected" fonts!

Nicholas Solntseff

Thanks
    As both Clint and I have stated these extra fonts are most likely a part of the Win 7 language packs which were evidently installed when you installed Win 7 or as a part of an update. You state there are over 600 fonts on your system. They are not from the English language version. You should be able to uninstall the extra fonts. Control Panel/Programs and Features, select view installed updates. Any of the language packs should be able to be uninstalled here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Removing foreign language fonts (From MS Answers).
    Look through the above thread on the MS site, there are several potential solutions.
    Have you got a multi-language version of the os?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I advise against removing any fonts, but in Win 7 if you go to Control Panel|Appearance and Personalization|Fonts|Preview, delete, or show and hide fonts, you will find that you can view the fonts folder and with a right click you will have the option to show or hide any font.

You should also remember that you may have got many fonts with Office, not Windows. Publisher has historically been a rich source for many of us.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hiding fonts doesn't seem to work for me. For example, I've hidden a large number of fonts ,... the first few being Aparajita, Batang, Batang Che, Bauhaus 93, Berlin Sans, and Bernard MT Condensed. Note that not all are foreign language fonts.In the Windows Font list, these seem to be somewhat grayed compared to the fonts I haven't hidden.

In WordPerfect, though, every last one of these fonts shows up. Not 600 like Nicholas, but there are more than 200. I've tried to hide well more than half of them. And it's not just WordPerfect ... it's MS Word 2003, Excel, and just about every program I own that has a font drop down list.

I've tried to find any language packs I can delete, but don't find anything in the list of uninstallable programs that looks even remotely like a language pack.

There MUST be a way to get rid of or hide these unwanted fonts. Isn't there?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Thanks
    Removing foreign language fonts (From MS Answers).
    Look through the above thread on the MS site, there are several potential solutions.
    Have you got a multi-language version of the os?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    So far as programs not responding to the 'hiding' of fonts is concerned, I suspect that it is your applications that are the problem, since one is non-MS, and another a not up-to-date MS program. This feature is new with Windows 7, and I think geared more to Office 2010 than even 2007. MS might like everyone to dash out and buy the latest 'everything' from them.

The earlier post as to the source of fonts is that many programs have notoriously installed fonts of their own in the Windows\Fonts folder, some of which have been considered to be of inferior quality. Some of us download freebies ourselves and add them to our collection, but if we have another means of managing fonts we tend to avoid adding more to Windows\Fonts.

If interested in something free, you might download ibarraReal (from Microsoft) or the dejavu fonts just to take a look at them. They’re yours to keep if you like them.

Thanks
    Try Nexus Font, it works well for me.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(