New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have XP Media Center SP 2. Tried installing SP3, it failed, "Access Denied" (quite possibly the most frustrating error in the history of computing. Whose computer is it anyway? its MINE, so just do what I tell you and shut up! but I digress.) Rebooted, turned off the virus scanner and everything else, and retried. Same error. Booted in Safe mode, and guess what, you can't use Windows Update in Safe mode, so I downloaded the full install of SP3 and retried. Same error. Finally I went to the MS support site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377 and it tells me to do all the stuff I just did.

One last hope, it says: download a tool and change all your registry permissions so it can do the updates. Then try again. That's where I am now. I ran the permission changer and it seems to have changed every single registry permission I have. That sent shivers up my back because I recall reading a column in either WS or TechSupportAlert that instructed us on how to RESTRICT access to our registry so malware couldn't hack it. Well I just undid all that and way more!

Assuming this butcher-job install process actually works, so I can squeeze a few more years out of XP before I am forced to "up"grade... What are the potential ramifications of exposing my entire registry to the world like I just did? Is there a way to Undo all the changes that thing just did and get my registry permissions back in order?

Thanks!!
    -Jeff

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI, Even after all that I was unable to install SP3. Still getting the "Access Denied" error even in safe mode with my reg permissions changed. Any assistance would be appreciated at this point, either in installing SP3 or information in registry permissions and how vulnerable my PC may be now.

Thanks
    Jeff, have you checked to see if the tool you downloaded and executed made a backup of your registry before modifying the permissions? At the very least it should have triggered a System Restore point. Have you checked with Microsoft to see if they have a tool to reverse the permission modification proceedure?

In XP, System Restore monitors all system files and registry keys. A new restore point is created by default every day your boot your computer if the latest restore point is over 24 hours old. System Restore does restore most of your registry keys, so check your system for a restore point just prior to the changes that were made.

Some registry keys will not be restored. You can find a listing of those keys in: HKLM\System\ControlSet001\BackupRestore\KeysNotToR estore

Do you have a recent backup of your XP Media Center partition? If you do not have a backup and a restore point does not restore enough of the registry, then perhaps a repair install of XP Media Center will detect the changes in the registry and correct it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I have XP Media Center SP 2. Tried installing SP3, it failed

Exactly how did you try to install it? What I mean is, did Windows Update offer it to you as an update OR did you simply download SP3 and try to apply it without first checking that any prerequisite stuff was in place?

I don't know all the details but I do know the SP3 download originally was not meant to be applied to XP MCE except via an automatic update from Windows Update. I think the issue is something to do with the fact MCE2005 includes WMP10 and SP3 only includes WMP9.

stuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was originally offered as a Windows Update. I ignored it at first (on the advice of Susan Bradley's Patch Watch column), but now that it is going to be the only supported version of XP, I tried WU again (manually) to download the update.

I should note that I also have another PC with Win XP Home Edition (not MCE) that I tried the same thing on and it failed. That one is my daughter's PC. In fact, once it failed on my PC (with MCE) the first time, I switched gears and tried all the subsequent tries described above on her XP HE PC. So my initial description was slightly misleading as to the precise version of XP.

WU checked the pre-req's, I believe. I assumed that it did, anyway. is it possible some piece is missing?

Thanks guys for taking the time to help.

-Jeff

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I have XP Media Center SP 2.
    XP Media Center Edition (MCE), what year? XP MCE 2004, XP MCE 2005? right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Properties.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Exactly how did you try to install it? What I mean is, did Windows Update offer it to you as an update OR did you simply download SP3 and try to apply it without first checking that any prerequisite stuff was in place?

I don't know all the details but I do know the SP3 download originally was not meant to be applied to XP MCE except via an automatic update from Windows Update. I think the issue is something to do with the fact MCE2005 includes WMP10 and SP3 only includes WMP9.

stuck
    Wish I could help you I AM running XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP3 and no problems at all. Since support for SP3 goes on until April 2014, it is most certainly worh finding a fix - perhaps your computer's manufacturer can assist? Unless it is HP, they are never very helpful... :^) gene

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I almost hate to suggest this but I think Jeff A is gonna have to reformat and reinstall XP Media Center SP2 on his computers as they're maybe missing or corrupted system files (and some messed-up or missing registry entries) on there. then apply the full XP SP3 package.

would be nice if Jeff A told us what kind of computers he were using [name brand and models].

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP m7640n. I hadn't thought of asking them for help.

Its Running WMCE 2002 SP2.

I'd really rather not re-format and reinstall.
    Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I will try it again here in the near future.

-Jeff

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it working. Had to boot in safe mode, run the script that executes subinacl.msi as described on the MS page. Also had to manually change permissions on a couple of registry items that the script missed for some reason. (I got the names of the registry items that it failed on from the SP install log in the \windows dir.) Then reboot, then rerun the install in safe mode.

I can provide more details later next week if anyone is interested. Meanwhile if you are having problems with this issue, try google on "access denied SP3" and include subinacl.msi in your search. I cant remember the exact MS page its on right now as I got it working late last week.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. FYI this also worked for regular XP Home Edition as well.

-Jeff

Thanks
    Yes, please do.
    Thanks.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Hi all,

The MS fix spoken of here is located in this thread .

The above link helped solve another problem related to permissions in this Windows 7 thread (Post #7 Part B) here in the Lounge.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This entry was one of the main culprits on both machines. Not sure why the subinacl thing didn't address this one. I had to change its permissions manually. A few others as well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009

Here are some sites that address the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377 <-- the official info from MS. There is a link on here (advanced troubleshooting section) that talks about subinacl and the script to reset the registry permissions. Run this script in safe mode, and it still may have problems (mine did)

http://winhlp.com/node/125 <- very long but really good info - this one was the one that ultimately led me to the right place (the SP install log) where I found out which ones were causing the problem. Note this site was originally created to address SP2 upgrade issues but it was updated for SP3, so dont be put off by all the SP2 talk - the same issues apply, apparently.

Hope this helps.
    -Jeff