New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I admit it, I'm officially puzzled.

I'm tooling along doing some work on my office computer and running a few apps, noting major. Playing a TV show with VLC. Outlook. Web browser open. Small stuff like that.... when all of a sudden BAM I get an old style blue screen of death.

When I tried to reboot, I get the infamous NTLDR is missing error. But I didn't think that Win7 used this for loading? I tried a startup files repair with my Win 7 disk but it did not help. Unable to restore from an old point. Any ideas?

Additional notes:

I installed Win 7 about 3-4 months ago on a new drive, no problems since then. My old boot drive with XP on it was installed as an attached data drive, I wasn't doing anything like dual booting.

Thanks for any help!

David

Thanks
    Does your old XP disk still have XP on it or did you reformat it to get rid of XP? I might try to disconnect that drive, then try the Win 7 disk repair. This forum mentions some of these issues.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am wondering if your disk just gave out. I too ran into similar issues a few months after installing Win7 on a new drive. Fortunately I was able to boot under XP, which was still on the old drive, image my Win7 partition and move it to another disk.

Thanks
    Check your BIOS settings to make sure you are not trying to boot off your XP disk. I use to have a motherboard who's BIOS would
    'helpfully" autmatically switch to the next available hard drive after a boot failure and make that setting permanent.

Thanks
    MS Answers

A quote from the above link...
    I had an issue with Windows 7 not booting once I removed an old hard drive that had Windows XP on it. I had thought this would go seamlessly but apparently my 'System' volume was set to the old drive.

Getting rid of this issue was a pain to say the least.

The windows 7 disk was the first attempt to remove the NTLDR error, even tho it doesnt make sense as that is only need for XP.

Anyways, choosing "STartup repair" and similar from the Windows 7 disk did not fix the problem even though it found items to repair each time.

I ended up fixing the issue after doing two things:

-Disabling the 'Quick Boot' option in the BIOS
    -Eventually selecting the system restore option

I find it goofy that this worked, especially since the restore would still be using the old HD in my mind. However, maybe the non-quick boot allowed the system to do a deeper check and not fail instantly on the NTLDR error?

Could be... in either case, this fixed the issues.
    Give the "disable quick boot option in BIOS" a try.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I think I fixed the problem.

Some additional info: Win 7 was installed to a new drive. The old XP drive was connected but after installing Win 7, the computer never booted to it. I've been running this configuration for months now. So when the problem occurred, I was pretty surprised.

I went in a did some repairs to the MBR. Got it to the point - and this is odd - it would boot only with the Win7 CD in the drive, but it would boot up and display just like normal and with all programs. But ONLY with the Win 7 CD in the drive.

Eventually changed the drive letter, repositioned my SATA cables on the mobo, and got it to boot correctly.

Really strange happenings.