2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just spent the best part of a week loading Windows 7 which has now crashed big-time.

All I can do is log into safe mode (hence my being able to post here). I was just sitting there and it crashed a quick blue screen and then reboot after reboot after reboot.

I have tried the all the remedies that this supposed wonder system has to self diagnose with no success. I've tried restoring to an ealier point and using the repair button on the DVD only to be advised to take away and plugged in hardware (NONE).

What do I do now (besides throw the machine out of the window).

David

Thanks
    Hi David,

First, let's try to stop Windows from rebooting over and over so you can view the blue screen and write down the error message it contains. The next time you boot, keep tapping the F8 key until you get the Advanced Boot Menu, and select Disable automatic restart on error or something to that effect. This will stop the automatic reboots when the error occurs so you can observe and write down the error message; when you get it please post it back here so we can look over it. Hopefully some Lounger has seen the same error and can relate what was done to successfully remedy the issue.

The fact that you are able to operate in Safe Mode with Networking suggests that a device driver may be at the root of the trouble. Safe Mode allows only the most essential drivers to load to get the system running.

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your system? If so, did it raise a caution on any of your hardware or software?

It would be helpful to know what operating system you had before you installed Windows 7. Do you have a full retail edition of Windows 7 or is it an upgrade package?

If it is an upgrade edition, did you do an in place upgrade or a custom install if you had Vista on the system? A custom install was your only option if you had XP.

Did you install a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7 edition?

Did the symptoms you described begin immediately when the install was concluded or did Windows 7 run stable for a short time after the installation? If it was stable for a time, did you add any new hardware to the system, or install any new drivers (or other software) just before the instability appeared?

Is the computer with the problem in a home network?

What are the specs on your computer?

Any details you can provide will be helpful.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I agree with Gerald, I would suspect some hardware incompatibility (including drivers). I would also suspect an in place upgrade. Perhaps I'm wrong but I have heard of more of these strange issues with this upgrade method. To give a comparison:

Quote Originally Posted by dd_uk View Post
    I have just spent the best part of a week loading Windows 7 which has now crashed big-time.
    I spent a total of approx. 4 hours each for 5 different PCs to perform a clean install of Win 7 to each of them. This included customization to bring my wife and my laptops back to similar to what they looked and felt like before starting the upgrades. This leads me to believe you were having problems because of outdated hardware, s/w or both. I do not know what differences may be involved with the European version of Win 7, but this may also be causing problemss.

All I can do is log into safe mode (hence my being able to post here). I was just sitting there and it crashed a quick blue screen and then reboot after reboot after reboot.
    This does suggest a device driver is not compatible. I would suggest going into device manager and getting all device names , manufacturers and models, then going to the manufacturers site and get the latest drivers available. If they do not have Win 7 specific drivers, often Vista drivers will work.

I have tried the all the remedies that this supposed wonder system has to self diagnose with no success. I've tried restoring to an ealier point and using the repair button on the DVD only to be advised to take away and plugged in hardware (NONE).

What do I do now (besides throw the machine out of the window).

David
    If the machine is considerably older or does not show as compatible with Win 7 then this may be an option, but I would work on updating hardware drivers first to see if this will solve your problem. Several others things that have caused me wierd problems over the years have been:

1) Power supply went bad.

2) CPU overheating because a fan went bad

3) Bios not updated for new OS

4) CMOS battery died.

I sincerely hope these suggestions will help. I believe once you have Win 7 operating properly, whether in this PC or a new PC you will grow to love it as much as I do. MS appears to have done something right for a change.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

Good list. But I would like to add one more item. Memory module. I've had many a problem because of a bad memory stick. Sometimes just switching them from one bank to another solved the problem. Other times it was just a bad stick that worked intermittently.

If the machine is considerably older or does not show as compatible with Win 7 then this may be an option, but I would work on updating hardware drivers first to see if this will solve your problem. Several others things that have caused me wierd problems over the years have been:

1) Power supply went bad.

2) CPU overheating because a fan went bad

3) Bios not updated for new OS

4) CMOS battery died.

I sincerely hope these suggestions will help. I believe once you have Win 7 operating properly, whether in this PC or a new PC you will grow to love it as much as I do. MS appears to have done something right for a change.
    [/quote]

Thanks

How long can you stay in safemode without experiencing a problem?
    It would seem that if you can get to safemode and access the internet to post then the issue would point more
    toward a software/driver issue.

Post as much info about your system specs as possible, this will help in troubleshooting.
    More detail=better.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norm201 View Post
    Ted,

Good list. But I would like to add one more item. Memory module. I've had many a problem because of a bad memory stick. Sometimes just switching them from one bank to another solved the problem. Other times it was just a bad stick that worked intermittently.

Thanks Norm, forgot about RAM. It has been a long while since I had a RAM problem. Perhaps this is because I stay away from aftermarket for the most part and stick with name brand.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, what a difference a day makes!

Didn't touch the machine for best part of 48 hours (see I do have a life) only for it to boot up correctly.

So, what went wrong? I went through all the suggestions, ideas, etc. and most if not all the probs/solutions I have come accross before.

Still no idea why it crashed and even less idea why it came back. One thing I think I can rule out is a heat related issue, the machine has now been on for over 3 hours.

Just noticed something very peculiar. Daylight saving started here in UK early Sunday morning when the clocks went forward by 1 hour. Now, before the crash it was registering the correct time (GMT) and I just noticed it has advanced the clock 2 hours and it is saying the next adjustment is due in October. I doubt whether this had anything to do with the crash, but you never know.

Also interesting to note that GMT has now become UTC.

Thanks for the interest

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Each and every time I setup 7 the clock is 2 hours off. Don't know why but that certainly should not have done it.
    A little late now but you can right click the Computer and choose manage, go to Event Viewer and Windows logs. Possibly under system you might find something dated back to when you was crashing.

Thanks
    Yes, I think you should try to track the recent crash issues down too.
    Usually a crash sends a report/log back to MS, did you have Error Reporting on?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.