Thread: "Shadow" File

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am using XP Pro. I made a desktop shortcut to an Excel 2007 file that I use quite often. After opening the file using the shortcut and then closing it, I get the file icon ~$FileName on the desktop.
    I cannot open this "shadow" file nor can I get rid of it via the Recycle Bin. What I must do to get rid of it is reopen the file using the shortcut and then close the file; then the "shadow" file disappears. I would like to know what is happening here and what I can do to stop this from happening?

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a temporary file that Excel uses as long as you have the spreadsheet open. It should go away once Excel closes the file. If you are still seeing it after closing the file it could just be that the desktop needs to be refreshed (try browsing to Desktop in Explorer and hitting F5).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Peter. Using the F5 key does get rid of it. Also, reopening the file and then immediately closing it also eliminates the "shadow" icon. However, when I went to Internet Explorer, the "shadow" icon was not removed.

Have a Good one.