Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WordXP SP2

    i have a word template containing tables with borders applied to some rows and not others.
    The border colour is a set colour - a orange tone.

    when I create a new document and save, the borders are applied to the whole table and as colour red.

    This is occuring for some users and not others.

    There is no code running related to updating styles etc.

    I dont know whats causing it.

    If I remove the all borders from the table, and perform a new, save the result is no borders applied.

    Ive repaired the template and same result.

    any ideas?

    many thanks

    diana

    template(saved as a .doc) and resulting document created from template - attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,970
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    There's nothing apparent, on a quick review of the code contained in the template, that should be causing this, but: there are references set in the template to two other templates: CorrsLib.dot, and Document.dot.

    Have you ruled out that there might be a procedure in either of those two templates, that might be intercepting the Save command (and running some unwanted code along the way)?

    Gary

  4. #3
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i found this post which seems to be a similiar issue...

    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f4572ea93f76d8

  5. #4
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks Gary

    Ive removed related code that maybe intercepting the code.

    the issue is appearing for standard issues.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,506
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 142 Times in 135 Posts
    Is this related to updating (table) styles on open? Have your documents got that setting ticked?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

  7. #6
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    677
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 57 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    thanks Gary

    Ive removed related code that maybe intercepting the code.

    the issue is appearing for standard issues.
    I have opened the template and created documents based on it in W2007 & 10. Macros were disabled in both the template and the documents and, more importantly, the borders in the documents and the template are the same.
    You might check to see whether some of your users have higher macro security settings.

    Pam
    Pam Caswell

  8. #7
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've posted several threads here on WOPR about similar issues in Word XP. Bottom line: table styles randomly update in Word XP, and Word XP randomly applies styles--not just TABLE styles, but PARAGRAPH styles--to tables, and saving a document is one of "triggers". As reported on that Google groups thread, one way around this that we've used is to apply "Table Normal" to all the tables.

    One thing that seems to be related to the problem is "char" styles, especially char styles whose names start with a space. We found here that using the Organizer to rename these illegally-named styles and removing the spaces at the beginning of their names often fixes the problem. Of course, these styles may recur as people use these documents/templates.

    As much as I hate Office 2007--and believe me, I hate Office 2007 with a passion that burns--one good thing about it is that it seems to have resolved these table style issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •