New Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies if this is a bit naive or in the wrong section. Despite searching extensively, I couldn't find anything that covered this problem, am not at all techical, and was not quite sure where to start this thread as it seemed to go beyond just office.

I installed Windows 7 on my old computer without problem. It was installed on the C Drive (IDE) and I also had a (SATA) D drive that contained all my data files. I'd done a clean install and installed the programs afterwards. I installed Office XP with Access, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Publisher. They worked fine though there was an issue with not having some files needed to use certain help features but that was not a problem.

Recently the motherboard started to fail so I had a new computer built with much better specifications. The sound card and the two disc drives were transferred from the old computer into the new one. Despite trying everything we could think of, the computer professional who built it and I could not get it to run. When we tried a repair the PC could see the windows installation but would not repair or run it or let us get at it in any way. In the end I decided to do a clean install of Windows and to take the opportunity to use a new SATA disc. I used Laplink PC mover to copy the old C drive onto a seperate external backup drive.

Havng installed Windows 7 on the new SATA disc the new machine was complete with Windows 7 on the new SATA C Drive and the data files on the SATA D Drive I'd transferred across. I then attached the external backup drive and used PC Mover to put the program files onto the C Drive.

A couple of programs needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled but most of them seemed to work fine. The problem came when I started using the Office programs. The programs open and if pinned to the start menu appear as, for example, Word (2), Excel (2). All of the default save locations reverted to C:\ although they'd been saved on the D drive originally. Any recently used files also had their paths changed to C:\. Most of my Word files seem OK but I've lost files in Excel or had them corrupted even though they were stored on the D Drive and shouldn't have been touched in any way. I've reset the default locations to the D Drive and can find most of the files in the recently used lists by browsing. Once I've done that they appear with the correct location at the top of the list.
    A similar problem occurs with some of the Windows Live programs. Windows Live Mail and Live Writer both appear as (2) on the start menu (not in the All programs but after I pinned them to the start menu). Live Writer is not picking up any of my old drafts and I can't see how to associate it with them. There are also a load of new options I don't understand on the right click menu if you click the program in the All Programs section of the start menu. These were not seen before. As I've got an identical setup on my laptop I've been able to check they don't appear on that. These options are the same for each program except for the file name and for Live Mail are : Add to archive - Add to wlmail.rar - Compress and email - Compress to wlmail.rar and email.
    Can anybody please give me any clue as to what is going on, and what these extra options on the right click menu are for? I'm sorry for the length of the post but I know that little things can be important but have no idea what might and might not be relevant myself. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm totally lost.

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with either Windows 7 or PC Mover, so I can't tell what is normal and what is not normal in your scenario. We might need to move this thread to the Windows 7 board for more insight.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please feel free to move it if it is more appropriate to another section.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the end I gave up and uninstalled all of the old Windows Office software. Nobody seem to be able to make any sense of the programs being shown as Word (2) etc. or explain why it's happened to some of the Windows Live programs but not others. Most odd. I might give Office 2007 a try.