New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Gateway FX530XG running Windows Vista (32-bit). I recently purchased a Rocketraid 640 PCIe card to install. Upon booting up after installing the card, I got a prompt to install the card drivers as I expected (installed them without issue). However, I also got a prompt to install a driver for the "Base System Device", which appears under "Other Devices". To be sure, this prompt was associated with the installation of the card, I removed / re-installed it and still got prompted. Vista is unable to find any appropriate drivers and the CD that came with the drivers doesn't appear to have anything appropriate either. I also checked Rocketraid's site and nothing there either. Can anyone shed some light on what this "Base System Device" is and how I can go about finding / getting a driver installed? Will / should the card function properly without said driver? I have not connected a drive to the controller yet but that's my next step.

I'm also planning to move to Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit) in the near term so hoping the issue might go away then too. In any case, any assistance in the interim would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks
    Some info on "Base System Device" (Device Manager)
    Google: Base System Device Drivers+new PCIe card
    Rocketraid 640 PCIe card Do you have the RAID Management Utility?

If you have anykind of warranty on the card I would take it up with HighPoint tech support first off. You check for an updated device
    driver as well.

It looks as though something didn't get installed correctly. I would completely uninstal it, along with the drivers, boot, then
    reinstal everything again with the updated drivers. You may want to check "Device Manager" and see if "search for driver" will help too.

It looks like it is meant to work in RAID, so perhaps it's awaiting the RAID drivers.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback Clint. I will do some further digging / troubleshooting per what you posted and report back. FWIW, I plan to use this card in a JBOD setup (which is supported).

Thanks
    Do you have the drives in place, does it actually recognize/work?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Do you have the drives in place, does it actually recognize/work?

I scoured Gateway's site and didn't find any applicable drivers. I also ran Driver Magician, which didn't find anything obvious. I went back to High Point's site again and didn't find anything there either. At that point, I decided I would try connecting a drive to see if it could see it or not. I have 3 internal drives (1 primary OS, a second / image of the primary, and then a data drive -- which was the one I connected to the High Point card). When the drive was seen at the BIOS level, I decided to then let the system boot normally. What a colossal mistake that turned out to be. I got a BOOTMGR is missing error. The first thing I checked was the drive boot order and found that the High Point card had been listed first. I re-arranged the boot order to boot off the right drive but that didn't help. I then booted off the Vista DVD and had it try and repair the issues but no such luck there either. I then moved the drive connection back to its prior location (onboard SATA connector) and pulled the High Point card. I rebooted again and while I didn't get the BOOTMGR error, I got a different one that still preventing Vista from loading. I booted off the DVD again and this time the repair worked.

At this point, I'm back up and running. With that said, I am leaning towards returning the RocketRaid card. I had purchased it since I recently purchased 2 Western Digital 6 GB/s drives thinking I'd try to take full advantage of the technology. All the hassle / trouble I've had so far doesn't make it seem like it's worth it -- particularly when I know that I probably won't see close to that transfer rate. Instead, I think I may just stick with the onboard SATA connections along with the Promise TX4 card that has been serving me well.

It's possible that I might have better luck when I do a clean Win 7 install but my feelings on the product are somewhat sour now given this slate of events.

Thoughts / comments on this approach?

Thanks
    I'd still want to call somebody from HighPoint up for tech support before returning it.
    Explain your instal issues, see if they can offer any assistance or troubleshooting help.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I'd still want to call somebody from HighPoint up for tech support before returning it.
    Explain your instal issues, see if they can offer any assistance or troubleshooting help.
    I will probably try touching base with them tomorrow via phone or their online support and see if they can offer any insight. I would hope that with a clean install that many of these issues would be non-existent but it would probably still be good to know what happened here. Now that I'm back up, I may try just adding the card back with no drives attached, removing the drivers, etc and then starting over again to see if a clean install works

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So I got a response from High Point though not exactly what I was expecting initially. Their response is below. I will follow-up with the screen shot though and see where things go from there.

Hello,

Strange problem - please send us a screenshot of this error/item, if possible.

Does the system regularly install Windows updates?

Regards,

Customer Support Department

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still no resolution at this point though dialog with Highpoint is still ongoing. I provided them the screenshot and some hardware specs. They are going to try and "reproduce" the problem but we'll see how that goes