Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Win7 Pro 64, I can't seem to find my CD drive. In Windows Explorer, I can see my two partitions, my external hard drive, and PCs on the LAN ... but my CD drive just isn't listed.

Drive letters appear to have gotten screwed up. There's a listing for my external drive as drive E, but the connection doesn't restore. There's a listing for drive D which turns out to be my external drive, and the Lenovo Recovery partition which used to be shown as hared drive D: is now drive Q:.

I don't care what drive letter things are on, particularly, but I DO need to be able to find my CD drive. How can I get it back?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Thanks
    Unplug the external drive and LAN for now.
    Go into Device manager and locate your DVD/CD ROM drive and uninstal, reboot, and let your system recognize and reinstal it.
    The DVD/CD ROM should become visible with a drive letter asigned to it anew. Then go back and reconnect the external drive, then the LAN.

Or, you can just uninstal the CD drive from device manager and reboot and see if it comes back to life again, hopefully usable.

I like to have things arranged so that the easily unplugable devices, [like external drives], are among the "latter" letters of the alphabet. It helps to avoid other "former" alphabet letters from being
    knocked out of their asignments.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The DVD drive does not function after you install Windows 7. Go to kb975270

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may also try giving the drive a letter in Disk Management. Type diskmgmt.msc into the start menu and press enter. Right-click on your drive if it is listed, and select assign drive letter and paths.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The optical drives are usually not visible unless there is a CD/DVD in them - makes plowing through the "libraries" that win 7 insists on showing to find a logical drive easier

Lex