New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unable to Create a system repair disc

After inserting a blank DVD / CD disk into the disk drive and then clicking on Creat disc

DVD+R / CD-R Error message
    The disc in the selected drive is not blank You
    must erase the disc before you can use it.

DVD +RW Error message
    System repair disc could not be created
    There is no media in the device 0xC0AA0202

At one stage I also got another (unrepeatable) error message: The handle is invalid 0x80070006

I will appreciate any helpful advice. Thank you.

Kind regards, Colin

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try this link: Technical Help For CD Burner Problems

In the above link you will find information on troubleshooting. They suggest doing a hardware troubleshoot prior to a
    software troubleshoot & I agree.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    If you have Home Premium, I had to use RW media because Win 7 could not access R media. I also had problems accessing an Ext. drive with Win 7 back up. I ultimately switched to a third party app (In my case Acronis True Image Home 2010) Also check out Macrium Reflect which is free. The third party apps have many more features that are unavailable in the Win 7 backup app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Spent hours searching and trying various options before settling for a Work Around Solution, as follows:

Work Around - RECDISC.EXE
    1. Boot up with the Windows 7 installation disc.
    2. Enter your language and other preferences and Click Okay.
    3. @ Main Menu Click REPAIR in lower Left Hand Corner.
    4. System Recovery options: Select use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows. Then Select an operating system to repair.
    5. Click on command prompt @ bottom of options.
    6. @ Command line prompt type recdisc enter
    7. You will get the same popup as in Windows for choosing which drive letter.
    8. Insert blank disc CD-R or DVD+R.
    9. Select DVD/CD drive with blank DVD+R or CD-R disc.
    10. System should generate Recovery disc
    11. Label Recovery Disc e.g. REPAIR DISC Windows 7 32-bit

In the end, what does a Windows Repair Disc give you over a Windows 7 installation disc ?

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back.
    I don't think the created repair disk offers anything extra.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I ultimately switched to Acronis True Image Home 2010 because of the limitations of the Win 7 Backup. My Win 7 Ultimate edition backup worked fine, but my wife's HP edition did not. Both worked great with Acronis.

I believe the System Repair disk may be intended more for those folks who have a new PC with Win 7, but the OEM PC manufacturer has not seen fit to include a Win 7 installation disk with the PC. This happens more often than you might think. They included a recovery partition but not a DVD. This is OK if you can get to the recovery partition, but what if you can't. That's where the Rapir Disk comes into play.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi all,

The Windows Recovery Environment is installed by default in Windows 7, which is a departure from Windows Vista. It can be accessed by pressing F8 at boot and displaying the Advanced Boot Options menu. Choosing the Repair Your Computer option will bring up the System Recovery Options box and does not require the use of the installation DVD or a repair disk. But if you cannot get there on bootup, then both the created Windows 7 Repair Disk and the Windows 7 installation DVD will boot your computer to start the System Recovery Options. The repair disk can do anything the installation DVD can do short of reinstalling Windows . It can fix boot problems and offers Command Prompt, which runs in an environment that is much better than the old Recovery Console in XP. It allows you the flexibility to run many more commands than RC allowed. Colin, that is what you used to create the Repair Disk, and I don't think that would have been possible if we were limited to the XP style Recovery Console.

Because that procedure resulted in the successful creation of the repair disk, I would look for a software solution to your original disk creation problem - perhaps a driver, since Recovery probably loaded a generic optical driver.

The repair disk is particularly useful for restoring an image backup made with Windows Backup.

Another plus in using the Repair Disk rather than the original installation DVD for Windows Recovery is that you can keep the original tucked away in a safe place so it will be ready when you need it to do a clean (or custom) install. The more the installation DVD is handled, the greater the possibility of it becoming damaged.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanks for this valuable info. I knew of the Repair Disk versus Installation disk, but was unaware of the F8 to Repair your computer option. As stated previously many OEM PC manufacturers do not include an original installation disk so creating a repair disk is important in this instance.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted