New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have searched on the web for an answer to the following question, and have found lots of info about "illegal" keys.
    I asked the MS help telephone centre, but alas, I don't really think the lady understood the question.
    And I asked a MS employee at a recent presentation, and am not really confident of the answer he gave.

So I'll ask here!

I have been given a boxed copy of Windows 7 Professional, unopened, for the French Win 7 Pro.

Now, I know that the key will be version specific, i.e. "Pro," but is it also language specific?

If I use a Win7 Pro (English) installation DVD will the "French" key work?

I really don't want to open the box to try this and therefore "waste" a key; if it won't work I'll try to find someone who can use the French version.

Thanks
    The short answer is no, not with your Professional version
    You would have to do an inplace upgrade to the Ultimate Version, then download a language pack.
    You should be able to download and instal language packs for English, but only with Enterprise and Ultimate editions.

Usefull, but unverified info link
    MS Social Technet Forums on the subject
    MS Support

I really don't want to open the box to try this and therefore "waste" a key; if it won't work I'll try to find someone who can use the French version.
    That would be the best thing to do as this looks to be quite a hassle.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got this response from Microsoft's upgrade page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...derations.aspx

"Upgrading Windows Vista from one language (such as English) to Windows 7 in a different language (such as French), requires custom installation. "

So it seems that you can install it, but would probably have to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The following answers are posted to the Lounge for your information.

After I originally posted here, I discovered the MS Answers Forum. I also posted there in an effort to get additional opinions - maybe even find someone who may have tried this.

================================================== =======
    Reply Dated: Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:34 AM
    Link:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8b0338?lc=1033
    Text:
    " The key does not care about the language, as long as you are using it with the designated edition of Windows 7, in this case Professional. You could have Windows 7 Professional Chinese, Spanish, French, English, German etc, it will work.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Andre Da Costa http://adacosta.spaces.live.com http://www.activewin.com "
    ================================================== ========
    and also...
    Reply dated: Monday, January 18, 2010 12:29 PM
    Link: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-e194e92d1d55
    Text:
    Yes, it is possible to use the product key with different language version. I installed the English Win 7 Pro 64-bit I got from MSDN and used the product key I was given with the German version and it worked. I activated the product and it's working fine. Hope it helps somebody... petr_ch

I'll try this myself after "Income Tax Season" !!!

My thanks to Loungers CLiNT and Alejandro, and of course to Andre Da Costa and petr_ch in the Microsoft Forums.

Phil

Thanks
    Personally, I'd get back on the phone with someone from MS and go over it some more. You may have just gotten
    someone who didn't know the answer to your question. Keep trying in other words.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    After checking several sources and reading different articles and forums, I would conclude that yes, you can install an english version of Win 7 and activate using a french key in either 32 Bit or 64 Bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy