Thanks
    Outlook 2002 ver. 10.6856.6858 SP3
    Windows XP Professional, SP3
    Vidcard: ATI Radeon HD 2400 - current drivers

I've been using XP Pro and Office 2002 for several years now - recently I decided to change my screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024, the highest my current video card could handle.
    After changing resolution, the first time I opened Outlook and did a Send/Receive, it began receiving messes from the server and then, midway through the operation (say, 13 messages out of 25) Outlook just closed on its own.
    I opened Outlook again - it was slow in opening this time, but when it did open, none of the messages I had been in the midst of receiving showed up in my Inbox. When I did another Send/Receive, the same messages started to come in again. And then it closed again. Only when I reverted to 1024 x 768 was I able to pull in new messages.

I changed back to the higher resolution after receiving messages and browsed for articles describing similar situations, but I didn't find anything. I was going to post here right away, but decided to try updating my video drivers first. I did so - the newest drivers are no more than 2 months old - but the problem still occurs. I can't even pull in new messages in 1024 x 768 any more - Outlook crashed every time that I tried today. Prior to today I have been able to pull in mail every so often - it's harder when the machine first boots up - the first try tends to fail every time. Subsequent attempts tend to be successful (more often than not), but there is no discernible pattern. Today, though, I wasn't able to pull in new mail at all, no matter how many times I tried.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I can try going back to 1024 x 768 - I've been making the change without rebooting - and using that resolution from startup, to see if that makes a difference. But that would just be ignoring the problem instead of identifying it. If money weren't so tight I could get a newer version of Office, but there's no guarantee it is the Office version that is at fault either, so that could be a waste of time and money even were I to be in a position to try it. I can't really settle on a resolution between 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024, because the choices in between have noticeable distortion. It's one or the other, and I guess I'll be trying the lower resolution pending (hopefully) an identification of the cause.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some questions regarding Outlook:
    • How many messages do you have in your inbox?
    • How large is your PST file?
    • Have you run scanpst to check for corruption in your PST file?

It seems unlikely to me that your display resolution and the Outlook crashes are related - my guess is that you have some sort of issue related to where your email messages are being stored.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Well, I did think of the size of my .pst file, so I checked that initially (should have mentioned it first off) - it was roughly 1.5 gb.
    I did my best to pare it down, but you know how that goes - unless you know where the attachments are 9and I have a lot of folders & subfolders) it's a nightmare, so I deleted the largest sent messages, after saving any attachments to my hdd.
    My inbox had, when this started, fewer than 200 messages in it - I've had in the past several hundred when I got lazy, so about 150 for me was not too bad.
    After my initial post where I decided to consciously revert to 1024 x 768, reboot, and then see what happened - I also moved any inbox messages to s different personal folder - so for most of today, at least, my inbox was empty.
    And yes, as you might expect, I still had the same difficulties.
    What I did next was to download headers, mark certain messages for deletion, and then bring in the rest of the messages a few at a time. That did work, although not only is it a pain you know where - but Outlook will still shut down on me if I move more than a couple of messages to personal folders.

An observation - Outlook would shut down during the Send/receive process when the counter of incoming messages got to around 12, no matter how many thre were in total - but I am pretty confident that this is a matter of timing rather than of numbers.

And no, I wasn't aware that scanpst even existed, since I don't usually have problems with Outlook. I'll look for it, assuming that there will be a link or two to it within this forum.

It will be nice to be able to use the higher resolution (although my wife claims I made the change just to torment her).
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djmoore View Post
    I did my best to pare it down, but you know how that goes - unless you know where the attachments are 9and I have a lot of folders & subfolders) it's a nightmare, so I deleted the largest sent messages, after saving any attachments to my hdd.
    Did Outlook 2002 have Search Folders? If so, there's a handy one for finding Large Messages.

An observation - Outlook would shut down during the Send/receive process when the counter of incoming messages got to around 12, no matter how many thre were in total - but I am pretty confident that this is a matter of timing rather than of numbers.
    Is 13 your unlucky number?

This is really bizarre and I think it is just a coincidence. But to close the loop on the display, I assume you have tried reducing hardware acceleration in the ATI driver settings (Troubleshooting tab). That's pretty standard medicine for any driver-related anomalies.

Thanks
    Regarding scanpst -

I ran it last night - all it detected were "minor inaccuracies" - which I had it repair.
    This morning I fired up Outlook and - same issue as before. I tried emptying out the inbox (maybe 8 messages from yesterday) and the only way I was able to was by using the "Move to folder" button - dragging/dropping, even just one message, would cause Outlook to shut down.

When I opened up Outlook the next time, it froze - I was goinig to disable the Preview pane as a precautionary measure. I shut it down with Task manager, and when I tried to open it again I received - for the first time - this message:

I disabled the snag-it plugin, did a Send/Receive, and once again, Outlook shut down after around 5 of 30 messages had "come in" (I use the quotes because next time I open Outlook they won't be there).

Now, as far as the hardware acceleration with my video card is concerned, there is no Troubleshooting tab in the Catalyst Center display:

This is the most appropriate screen to show - it has Refresh Rate Override disabled by default. That is the closest thing to hardware acceleration I can find, John. This is not my original video card - I picked it up on the cheap at Staples last year when my original went on the fritz - I didn't care too much about anything besides having a display of any kind. So it's far from top of the line in a lot of respects (ATI's website makes it hard to find any support for this particular series - apparently it wasn't a big seller). So I get only one tab instead of the usual handful.

My .pst file is 1.424 gb in size; I only ever use Outlook for basic email functions - I got so used to it with my old job that I didn''t like anything else, as it was just too different. So the existence a search folder is likely, but clearly I've never used it. I'll give it a shot and see if trimming the fat any more offers any relief.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    I forgot what antivirus you use, but can you verify that your .pst file is excluded from scanning?

Now, as far as the hardware acceleration with my video card is concerned, there is no Troubleshooting tab in the Catalyst Center display:
    Try coming at it this way: right-click the desktop and choose Properties to open the Display Properties control panel. Click the Settings tab, then the Advanced button. Any Troubleshoot(ing) tab in that dialog?

Thanks
    Double dose of d'Oh!

Troubleshooting tab - I turned off all accelerations. There is also a checkbox below the acceleration slidebar - "Enable write combining"; it is currently checked.
    Those are the only two options available on the Troubleshooting tab.

I use Avast! antivirus. It does scan incoming email, but as far as I know it does not target .pst files for scanning unless I initiate a manual scan. I did find the place to indicate a directory path to be excluded from scanning; I added the path to my .pst file just now. Not sure, however, what that would do to undo this problem, since I've been using Avast! for 5 years now and presumably the .pst file has been scannable this entire time. Not that I understand the impact of that, mind you.

Rebooting and re-testing Outlook.

And my apologies - Jefferson, not John. I knew that.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    The only change over the past couple of days is that it doesn't happen ALL the time. Only about 50-60% of the time.
    I can pull in email by header and then specify which emails to download - that works (just about) all the time, but it is a painfully drawn-out process. It seems that I have no choice, though, since the only other solution is going to be reinstalling Outlook. And that will have to wait because taxes, FAFSA and other more pressing matters are waiting for me.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

IIRC, completing a FASFA form is worse that doing taxes. Maybe there's an opportunity for Intuit!
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS