Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend recently upgrade from Vista Home Premium (32-bit) to Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) using a clean install rather than an upgrade install. He downloaded the latest Easy Transfer from Microsoft specific for Vista to Win 7. He ran Easy Transfer using an account, with Admin privileges, prior to Win 7 installation saving the transfer file to an external hard drive. He then did the clean install of Win 7, re-installed all of his programs and then attempted the Easy Transfer to restore Foldersd/Files/Settings on the transfer file on the external hard drive. Executing Easy Transfer, again using an Admin account, brought up a dialog box stating that the Easy Transfer file could not be opened. I and a number of friends, have successfully used this approach even when going from a 32-bit Vista system to a 64-bit system, eliminating that as a factor. Has anyone you know of had this problem and resolved it?
    Does anyone have any suggestions what could be done? I suggested trying CHKDSK on the external hard drive storing the transfer file in hopes that any problems could be repaired and possibly fix the problem - he has yet to try this as he's been busy with other obligations. I was wondering if UAC might be a problem, but dismissed that as the transfer file had Read privileges and UAC hadn't caused any problems for anybody else that I have heard. Don P
    Don Plorde

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Plorde View Post
    A friend recently upgrade from Vista Home Premium (32-bit) to Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) using a clean install rather than an upgrade install. He downloaded the latest Easy Transfer from Microsoft specific for Vista to Win 7. He ran Easy Transfer using an account, with Admin privileges, prior to Win 7 installation saving the transfer file to an external hard drive. He then did the clean install of Win 7, re-installed all of his programs and then attempted the Easy Transfer to restore Foldersd/Files/Settings on the transfer file on the external hard drive. Executing Easy Transfer, again using an Admin account, brought up a dialog box stating that the Easy Transfer file could not be opened. I and a number of friends, have successfully used this approach even when going from a 32-bit Vista system to a 64-bit system, eliminating that as a factor. Has anyone you know of had this problem and resolved it?
    Does anyone have any suggestions what could be done? I suggested trying CHKDSK on the external hard drive storing the transfer file in hopes that any problems could be repaired and possibly fix the problem - he has yet to try this as he's been busy with other obligations. I was wondering if UAC might be a problem, but dismissed that as the transfer file had Read privileges and UAC hadn't caused any problems for anybody else that I have heard. Don P

don as far as I know you cant easy transfer from 32bit ti 64. they are different settings and apps.

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    don as far as I know you cant easy transfer from 32bit ti 64. they are different settings and apps.

Ken J
    I have successfully upgraded (via a Clean install) from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7 and successfully ran Easy Transfer to move everything (Files/Folders/Settings). A number of my friends have done likewise. Don P
    Don Plorde