Thanks
    I am working on a document for the military. It needs to have a different numbering scheme. All numbers must have an A before them like:

A.1
    A.1.1
    A.1.2
    A.2
    A.2.1
    A.2.2

Etc.

Is there any field or style I can use that will allow automatic numbering in Word?

Thanks
    Fuzzman

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Outline/Multilevel list numbering allows you to choose a number style (1, I, i, A, a, 1st, one, First, etc., even bullets or an image you choose) for each level. If you are unfamiliar with Word's autonumbering for headings and outlines, see this site. Please use it as a way to familiarize yourself with the modify/define new list dialog.

It is easier and less error prone to start with a built-in list scheme, such as 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, etc., and then "modify" it (in w2003& before). In W2007/10, that's called defining a new multilevel list. Either way you get to a dialog very similar to the one described in the link.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Pam,

I'm going to look at the site you suggested. I can usually figure out things in Word, but I don't run into this type of numbering ever.

Thanks

Fuzzman

Thanks
    Pam, the link to the site didn't work. can you paste the URL?

Thanks
    Pam, I got to the site. Thanks

I still can't get the numbering to work the way I want. Instead of numbering A1.1 - A1.2, it changes it to A1.1 - A2.1. I'll keep working with it. I'll probably have to do it manually, like they did in another doc.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    From your first posting, it seemed you want: A--numbering level 1 & heading (or outline ppg) 1; 1--numbering level 2 & heading 2; 1--numbering level 3 & heading 3.
    Which will give you:

A Heading 1
    A.1 Heading 2
    A.1.1 Heading 3
    A.1.2 Heading 3
    A.2 Heading 2
    B Heading 1
    B.1 Heading 2
    B.1.1 Heading 3
    etc.

That scheme is pretty typical, with each lower level restarting after a new higher level (the "restart after" setting). Your latest post suggests something different, but I'm not sure what it is. Can you tell us a little more about the numbering?

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've attached a quick sample document that uses the numbering scheme you describe. I hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files