Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an isy 99 and a NAS and want to check them periodically when I am gone but the ip address changes sometimes and I can't get in. Someone suggested DynDNS. Could someone explain to me how this works? Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi ingeborgdot,

I am assuming you are in a home network and have a router. On your router setup page there is a section allowing you to choose the number of devices you will allow to receive an automatic IP address as well as the range of IP addresses you want available for DHCP to assign to those devices. Make a note of the IP address range, for example 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.110 for ten possible computers or other IP addressable devices.

Then pull up your setup page on the devices you wish to assign a static IP address. You should have documentation containing the address to access your setup pages. There should be a section allowing you to disable auto assigning by DHCP, and then you can set up the static IP address you want to permanently assign the device, making sure it is out of the range of the IP addresses currently set up in your router. Based on the range in the above example, enter an address something like 192.168.1.99 or 192.168.1.111. This way you will still have the ten DHCP assigned IP addresses available for other devices.

I did this on my network printer because just like your situation, the IP address would change every now and then, and I had to keep changing it on my PCs in order to successfully send print jobs.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    when I am gone
    Are you talking about checking them from the web? If you are talking about your webfacing IP address on your router changing, dynDNS is a good option.

dynDNS works by registering a domain name on the internet DNS system for example me.com. This name is then pointed to your IP address so me.com now resolves to your.home.ip.address. If you now login to your NAS by typing your.home.ip.address:80, after registering with dynDNS you would login by typing me.com:80.

The trick here is that your.home.ip.address does not remain always the same. You install a small program on your computer (or use your routers built in client if it supports dynDNS) to report back to dynDNS what your current your.home.ip.address is. This allows dynDNS to always route me.com to your current correct your.home.ip.address.

Of course you will need to have INTERNAL static ip addressing set up as Gerald Shepard has described and will need to have the correct ports forwarded on your router to create the connections to the internal devices (or run the devices in a DMZ on your router).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got my dyndns acct setup but I am too stupid to figure out what to do next. Can anyone guide me? Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You need to tell us exactly what you want to achieve. Are you trying to access your home NAS from work or somewhere else on the web?

Have you looked at this?

https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html

I am not sure how far you are in setting up an account. Have you selected a domain name yet? Installed the update client?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can PM me with details if you do not wish to post them here.

royce dot holdeman at gmail dot com

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an isy for my home automation and will be getting a NAS in the next month.
    I have my account all set up and the client is synced to my account. I just have to get communication through my router.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Look at this:

https://www.universal-devices.com/mw...on-UPnP_Router

also read Gerald's post about assigning a static IP address.

If it doesn't make sense give us your router model number and we can point you to the pages in the router manual that tell how to port forward that device.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I got it figured out last night. I will find out as soon as my ip changes again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing you have probably learned by now is that you cannot test a port forward from INSIDE your network. This makes things interesting if you are setting up the port forward from inside your network and then need to go to your friend's house to check it.

What most techs will use is a computer at work (or at home if they are working at a customer's site) that they can access remotely. You can remote into the computer that is not on the network you are working with and test the access with that machine while you are actually onsite and can access the router and tweak the settings.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I have an isy for my home automation and will be getting a NAS in the next month.
    Be aware that you can only forward HTTPS (port 443) to a SINGLE ip address inside your network. If that NAS needs port 443 to work you will have to choose which you want to be able to access (or be very creative with changing which ports are used).

Of course if you are using a corporate router with multiple IP address bound to the WAN interface, you can port forward a port 1 time per WAN IP address.