Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I have a question concerning my wireless network. I have a Netgear modem/router and connected to this is my desktop via NIC and ethernet. This computer is running Windows Home Premium 32 bit. Also connected via wireless to the same router, are a netbook running Win 7 starter and a MAC laptop.
    All is well until I shut down the desktop. Afterwards I cannot connect to the internet with either laptop.
    I had hoped to be able to use the wireless to connect to the internet and shut down the desktop at night as the computer is in my guest room and had thought that the modem/router would allow me to do this.
    Is this normal or do I need to tweak something?
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Tell us more about this router/modem and your ISP connection?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Tell us more about this router/modem and your ISP connection?
    Hi Dave
    Thank you for your reply!
    I have a broadband connection from my phone line to my Netgear DGN2000 modem/router. Everythihg works very well til I turn off the desktop-then I lose my wireless. It comes up on my netbook as a wired connection and it won't take the password I usually use to get on my network.
    I'd understand if the modem was onccected to the desktop, but it's not. It's in the router..

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you mean that your broadband is DSL, then yes the DSL log in is on the desktop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you mean that your broadband is DSL, then yes the DSL log in is on the desktop.
    Hi Dave,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I have a modem/router which has my ISP log in information stored on the router's homepage. When I turn on the router, it signs me into the interent.
    I access the internet connection from the desktop via the modem/router via ethernet, and the laptops wirelessly also through the modem/router.
    This is why I'm not sure why accessing the internet doesn't work with the desktop shut down.

Thanks
    Dave is trying to ask, Do you have a cable connection or a DSL connection? If your internet connection comes through your phone line, then you have a DSL connection. If your internet connection comes through a different cable than your phone line then you probably have a cable connections. There are many articles shown for a Google search of Cable versus DSL. See this article or this article for some comparisons.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I'm sorry- when I said I had broadband, I meant I have a DSL connection.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Then YES, you must have the desktop running, as it will get the DSL modem logged into your DSL account at your providers servers. Then your other machines can access the network and the internet using the router which in turn is connected to your DSL modem.

Thanks
    Then YES, you must have the desktop running, as it will get the DSL modem logged into your DSL account at your providers servers.
    Are you sure Dave? I've had a DSL connection for many years, and I have NEVER left my desktop on at all times. All of the other computers on the network have had a full internet connection whether or not the desktop was running or shut off. The only things that are not accessible (while the desktop is powered off) are any shared folders on the desktop, or any shared printers which are connected directly to the desktop. Powering off the desktop should have no impact on other computers accessing the internet. All of the required parameters to connect should be stored within the router's configuration file, and as long as the router is left on, internet access should be maintained.

Two things that I am wondering about:
    1) When shutting down the desktop, is there some procedure that is actually shutting down or logging off the internet connection?
    2) Is the OP actually using the router to access the internet, or is it possible that he/she may have set it up to use ICS?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do not have and never did have a DSL connection in my house. But I have worked on others that did. And I found that the machine that the DSL modem was connected to had to make the connection. But in todays world, may they all can, if they have had the connection information added to them.

But I may be wrong as it has been some time since I even came near a DSL connection. Not to many people are using DSL with cable and the new wireless ISPs around.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am afraid Dave is wrong. I have DSL connected to the phone line at one end and to the modem at the other. Whether my desktop is on or off, I have a wireless network working fine as long as the modem is on.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppurr101 View Post
    I have a broadband connection from my phone line to my Netgear DGN2000 modem/router.
    Did your DSL provider furnish the Netgear unit? Did you have to install any software on the desktop PC when you first got the DSL service?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    Did your DSL provider furnish the Netgear unit? Did you have to install any software on the desktop PC when you first got the DSL service?
    Thank you for your replies.

Hi JJ
    No, I bought my router independently of my ISP, and I'm not sure but I think I might have had to install software from my ISP on my computer when I bought it. Having said that before I bought my router, I had to log into my ISP from my desktop. Now, I don't. The log in information is on the router and the router stays connected to the internet whether the desktop is on or off. I know this because there are lights on the front of the router to indicate the status of my broadband line, the connection to my ISP, and if my wireless is on or off.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppurr101 View Post
    I'm not sure but I think I might have had to install software from my ISP on my computer when I bought it.
    Did you remove the ISP's software from your desktop after you installed the router? If not, the desktop may be sending a "kill connection" message to the router when you shut the desktop down.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    Did you remove the ISP's software from your desktop after you installed the router? If not, the desktop may be sending a "kill connection" message to the router when you shut the desktop down.
    Hi JJ
    Thanks for gettting back to me. That is a good idea and I have gone to check.
    I have looked, and the only thing I can find in Programs and Features is software I installed for the Speedtouch modem I was using before I got my Netgear modem router. When I changed over, I set my Control Panel>Internet Options>Connection> to 'never dial a connection' so that dial up screen never comes up anymore. THere is no other software connected to my ISP on my desktop computer.
    In addition, the Netgear router has indicator lights on the front for 'DSL'(status indicator for the DSL phoneline) , 'internet' and 'wireless' , When you power up the modem/router, the DSL line light comes up first, and when the router has succeeded in logging in to my ISP, the internet light will come up. I have checked and this remains lit after I shut down the desktop which makes me think that it's still connected to the internet.

Also, if the desktop is shut down and I try to find my wireless network to connect with my netbook, my SSID comes up but not as a wireless network. I comes up on my netbook as an ethernet network asking for a password. My network password doesn't work in this case. On my friend's laptop (a Mac) my network shows up as a device?

I will try to post a link to the router specs page.
    Netgear DGN2000

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast