Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why is this so difficult? I've set up my XP Mode virtual machine to be in the same Windows Workgroup as the Windows 7 computer it's running on. But I'm having trouble mapping a drive letter to the native hard drive. The only way I can get to the Windows 7 hard drive from inside my XP Mode machine is to open Explorer and find the native C: drive.

When I try to map the drive, I need to drill down through Microsoft Windows Network to the Workgroup everything belongs to, and then (presumably ) to the Windows 7 hard drive. But the Windows 7 computer doesn't appear in that tree.

All hard drives are fully shared, and everything's in a workgroup named HOME ... what more do I need to do?

TIA
    Bill
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You shouldn't have to map any native drive in XP Mode to see them. Everything on the native system and every mapped drive on the native system shows and is accessable to me in XP Mode>My Computer>Other (Disk from Remote Desktop Connection).

The only thing I do that's non-default is that I switch the network adapter to the real one in settings; and I also just ckeck to be sure the drive(s) are checked in the Integration features section. Sometimes I'll check the Drives I plug in later box as well, just in case I have a subsequent senior moment.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I double-click My Computer, I can see the main C: dive on my Win7 machine. But if I try to actually MAP that drive, I face a Browse button that never reveals he drive as one I can map. See attached screen shot.

In addition, I can't drag files from my desktop to the virtual PC.

Up until last week, XP Mode was working fine, then it told me it couldn't enable integration features. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it. These new difficulties are happening in my new installation of XP mode. I don't know if this is relevant or not. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Must be a fault in the AE35 unit...and if HAL doesn't have a clue...(2001 (the movie) reference in case you need to know).

I'm sure you tried all the different network adapter settings...

One thing you might try; might screw things up even more...VMPlayer has an import XP mode option now. I was messing around with it on a Win7 system, trying to import a vhd, selected it by accident...and in it came! Seemed to be working ok there but I didn't do too much testing, and the VMPlayer's network adapters seem to knock out the real adapters if left enabled...but the graphics integration seems to be just as good....so something to consider if nothing else works.