Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I got a situation with a 2008 Standard Edition server where the installation of SP2 had been hanging around for a number of weeks, and we finally bit the bullet yesterday. It appeared to install normally, and came back up in about 25 minutes, but it had the exclamation mark in a yellow circle on the Start button bar indicating that we needed to do a Shutdown to finish installing updates. We now done 3 shutdowns and 5 restarts and the Update flag is still there. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Curious,

Something I've found from bad installers / updates. Locate this key and see if any entries are present.

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations
    Some more information can be found here, it's not a direct article to 2008 operations but I think it still applies.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...CHG.80%29.aspx

You may wish to look at this article too,

Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista setup log file locations

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks Josh - we didn't find much help in those, but I did want to report that the Black Tuesday patches installed early this morning appear to have resolved the issue, and everything is happy again. There apparently was an error of some sort in the updates tracking file that got resolved with one of the patches. Nice to have something actually get fixed without much brain damage being inflicted.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to hear the positive outcome

Microsoft fixing something without breaking something else?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps I was too hasty in cheering - it appears the reboot flag is back. But that may well have been another update applied - spontaneous reboots of a server whether Microsoft does it or not are not a good thing.
    Wendell