2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just did a new install of Win 7 and going thru all the programs to install.
    Got to MS Office '03 and ran into errors.
    1st. it didn't install a folder under Data.... then it said I don't have permissions
    then on the second try after a reboot it gave a different folder was missing
    and the permissions settings again.

I have Full Permission rights configured.

So what's the "Trick"/work-a-round to installing MS O '03???

Thanks
    Hi Bill,

If you do not already have it, you can download Revo Uninstaller which is a thorough uninstall program much better than the regular Windows uninstaller as it will eliminate traces of the uninstalled program in your Registry. I would uninstall MS Office 2003 with Revo, and then install it again, but this time try right clicking the setup.exe and choosing "Run As Administrator" to see if that makes a difference.

Check your Task Manager prior to installation to be sure there are no heavy duty processes or software running at the time you install Office.

I installed Office 2003 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit without any problems and Office runs stable for me on both computers.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, Gerald.... but sad to say; we have no joy.

Error 1326 Error getting file security:
    C:ProgramData\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA\GetLastError : 5

After I clicked the ok button the progress bar reversed and removed
    all the install files and shut down.

On to plan "B"

Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It worked for me - straight install. Make sure the cd is clean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure that you are running the install as an administrator - right click the setup.exe (or whichever file starts this whole thing) and select Run as Administrator. Or if there is no such option, turn of UAC temporarily just long enough to install Office, and then turn it back on. By the way, your account is an admin account, right?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Make sure that you are running the install as an administrator - right click the setup.exe (or whichever file
    starts this whole thing) and select Run as Administrator. Or if there is no such option, turn of UAC temporarily
    just long enough to install Office, and then turn it back on. By the way, your account is an admin account, right?
    YES to everything... The user is admin.... Even turned on Admin account ... also did registry hack that gives
    a line in the dropdown list "Grant full admin rights" and every time I would get that same error about not
    having permissions, so I got pissed after 12 straight hours and started from the "C:" and every folder and
    sub folder got the rt. click/grant full permissions and even with that done I still had to go back and do some
    more folders "it" made......

OH!!! I also found out that it wasn't just the MS Office program, (or the cd), as I even tried to install OpenOffice
    as well with the same results.

I'm "NOT" really impressed with Win7

And this is the second one I've built and nothings the same between the two.

Thanks Guys, maybe this thread will help others.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this. Install to anywhere other than Program Files. That directory is "special" and Windows tries to protect it. I have a directory named C:\apps where I place a lot of things.

I have installed Office (2007, though), OpenOffice and lots of other apps on about a dozen different Windows 7 boxes without issue. That is one of the downfalls of doing this over a forum - if I were watching over your shoulder I could probably figure it and get it running. Or I could declare that "your machine is really screwed up!" and tell you to reinstall. Anyway, I hope you get it working.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Try this. Install to anywhere other than Program Files. That directory is "special" and Windows tries
    to protect it. I have a directory named C:\apps where I place a lot of things.
    Thanks Peter, I can do that 'IF' Windose will quit screwing up; I've got "C" Drive on a 40 gb. and
    all the others are on a partitioned 250 gb. drive, so try this one out.... got an "AV" update and needed
    to be rebooted... NO Problem "RIGHT"?!?!?! WRONG!!!! when it got thru hanging up on the welcome
    page/ screen and finally booted to the desktop I only had the "C" drive!

After telling it to scan for new hardware in the device manager it only found the "D" drive and none of the
    other drives. Then it wanted to do some kind of a scan and repair of that drive and a reboot.... YEAH!
    SURE WHATEVER!!!.... after the reboot all drives were back up....

Oh yeah... and I've got one of those that likes to lock-up just sitting there. (10 to 15 times in about
    4 days, then it will stop that for a while and start up again.)

Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The user is admin.... Even turned on Admin account
    No, right click the setup file and select "Run as Administrator".
    What you have done above before, was the user is a member of the Admin group, but NOT "The Administrator".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    No, right click the setup file and select "Run as Administrator".
    What you have done above before, was the user is a member of the Admin group, but NOT "The Administrator".
    YES Sir... I understand that as well....
    • I grant full rights
    • I take ownership
    • and I run as Administrator

On / During the install, I am constantly getting errors that the program installer could
    NOT install shortcuts / folders / etc. "Please check that you have rights to that and
    permissions" ("THAT'S AFTER" I've done all of the above.)

But with that said; here's another interesting point... After doing all of that a check
    of the permissions list shows only the user has full rights and many times "Admin"
    and Creator had 'NONE'! (If I put in all the checkbox permissions in Creator and hit
    apply they are all deleted / removed.)

And I'm REALLY getting tired of all those NAG SCREENS on everything
    I do. (That's another thing I would turn off in a heartbeat. Tell me how and I'll do it!)
    (Note: I've turned off UAC (to none) and Defender and they still keep coming.)

THANK GOD!!! All my other machines are XP PRO sp3's.

Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you been using a "Registry Cleaner" or and other program to speed up your system?
    It appears to me that you have a lot of settings that have been messed with and your system just may need to be rebuilt from scratch with a clean install of the OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.