New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I understand it, the only way to backup Win 7 home edition is by the DVD drive. The PC issue on my computer shows I need to backup, but where do I find the number of cd's I will need?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks
    Hi Glen,

Welcome to the Lounge!

You can also use an external hard drive (USB, Firewire, eSata) with Windows Backup in Win 7 Home Premium. The only exclusion for backups in Home Premium is a network location. Win 7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise editions are required for one to backup to shared network folders.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply, but the cd/rw is the only option given. It told me I could not use USB and because that was my first thought, I wanted to ask the lounge for advice. Really, when I click on "backup" a menu appears with only cd/rw. So, what to do? How many cds do I need? If there is a method to circumvent the default could you please tell me? Again, thank you very much.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Christensen View Post
    Thank you for your reply, but the cd/rw is the only option given. It told me I could not use USB and because that was my first thought, I wanted to ask the lounge for advice. Really, when I click on "backup" a menu appears with only cd/rw. So, what to do? How many cds do I need? If there is a method to circumvent the default could you please tell me? Again, thank you very much.
    Others have suggested using alternative backup programs instead of the built-in Windows backup. The alternatives are more flexible programs.

I use Acronis True Image, but that costs $50. You can download a 30 day free trial of Acronis. A free alternative is Macrium Reflect.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    Glen,

Do you see the DVD drive as the only option when your external hard drive is plugged in the USB port? An external hard drive has to be plugged in for you to see the option to use one.

If you are using the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium, then Macrium Reflect will work well. I use it myself. For 64 bit Win7, you can try Paragon Software Free Backup & Recovery . They have downloads for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows. I use their 64 bit version on Win 7 64 bit.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The DVD option is before I insert anything into the USB. In fact it is the only option, as I explained earlier. I will try the outside vendors rgrosz and Gerald suggested. I again thank you for your help.

Happy Easter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Insert your usb drive BEFORE you go into windows backup and it should show it. I agree that some of the other vendors may have more flexible backup solutions then that built into windows 7 but the ability to backup any open file via shadow copy that is built into windows is nothing to sneeze at. I also have experience that windows will reimage a drive INCLUDING repartion and reformatting in under 40 min if you have a moderate amount of data.

I think for the average home user Windows 7 backup is all you need.

I have set several of my customers up with 500gb or larger usb drives and store an image and do a backup nightly. This has worked very well and I have not had any backup failures yet......

a rule of thumb is that if a backup is not automatic you will not have it when you need it.

Any backup solution MUST BE MONITORED AND TESTED