Lounger
    Thanks
    On 13 Aug 09 I installed KB971633 W2K HotFix. On 22 Sep I did it again (not realizing that I had already done it). Ditto 12 Oct 09, 20 Oct 09. I finally woke up that I was not getting anywhere. I uninstalled KB971633, downloaded it from MS again and installed it again. On 24 Nov 09 the same thing happened. I ran out of brains so I gave my computer to a smarter guy while I went to Houston for Christmas. When I got back, everything was OK.

On 14 Feb 10 I installed KB975560 W2K HotFix. On 28 Feb I did it again, this time realizing that something is very strange here. What's going on here?

I know that Win2K is going out the window soon so I have already built a new box for Win7, but I'm not yet ready to dump the Win2K box. I have a feeling that my firewall may be involved, but I don't know how to correct it. Does that make any sense? Any help will be very appreciated.

Bob

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    check the following registry keys in Registry Editor (regedit.exe or regedt32.exe):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\KB975560
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Wind ows 2000\SP5\KB975560\Filelist
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\updates\Dire ctX 9.0\SP0\KB975560_DX9\Filelist

The DirectX 9.0 registry key should be there if DirectX 9.0c under Win2000 is installed. If all those
    registry keys are there and have all the necessary info, then there's NO need to re-install the update.

Is Automatic Updates turned on? I'd keep it off and just install KB975560 manually from Windows Update.
    If the firewall software is causing the problem what kind of firewall software do you use?

Lounger
    Thanks
    The DirectX key is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Dire ctX 9.0\SP0\KB976138_DX9

Automatic Updates is set on Manual. I always install manually, unless somehow things are being done behind my back.

I think I didn't write the first post clearly; I'm not used to this. For both KB971633 and KB975560 everything goes okay (as far as I know) except that when I go to Secunia to see what I need to do they tell me that I need to download and install KB975560 (KB971633 having been corrected already).

As for the firewall (Outpost Firewall Pro 2009), that comes from something I read a while ago but I can't remember who or when it was. (This 76 year old brain isn't as sharp as it used to be.) Maybe that can be thrown out.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Berles View Post
    As for the firewall (Outpost Firewall Pro 2009), that comes from something I read a while ago but I can't remember who or when it was. (This 76 year old brain isn't as sharp as it used to be.) Maybe that can be thrown out.
    check the Agnitum site and update your Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 software. latest that I know of is version 6.7.3 (3063.452.0726) released in early Feb. 2010.