Thread: clone unix HD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    need to replace clone / copy a HD on a unix type system with a larger one, can this be done using a windows machine and acronis where it automatically will be able to have the full size of the new drive?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe it will do exactly as you have asked. You could also ask on Acronis' forum for a confirmation.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob mcaap View Post
    need to replace clone / copy a HD on a unix type system with a larger one, can this be done using a windows machine and acronis where it automatically will be able to have the full size of the new drive?
    Hello,
    I have tried to "clone" my Linux HD with Acronis 2010. It will only clone the entire HD sector by sector .This took several hours to complete. A better choice is http://clonezilla.org/ (free whatever) I have used it to clone (only sectors with data) and re image my Linux drive with success .Although it has a "Plain Jane" interface (GUI) it work as advertised. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello,
    I have tried to "clone" my Linux HD with Acronis 2010. It will only clone the entire HD sector by sector .This took several hours to complete. A better choice is http://clonezilla.org/ (free whatever) I have used it to clone (only sectors with data) and re image my Linux drive with success .Although it has a "Plain Jane" interface (GUI) it work as advertised. Regards Fred

but dont you then have to modify the MBR or something, to be able to access the increased size of the new HD?
    thanks, Bob

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob mcaap View Post
    but dont you then have to modify the MBR or something, to be able to access the increased size of the new HD?
    thanks, Bob
    Bob,
    Hello, I have not "cloned - restored" an image to different size disks (using clonezilla) as my disks are two 1TB and two 500Gb one 360 GB .... so i don't know. However "Clonezilla" has many options to choose from in the initial setup , including an "advanced user option " What i have done is create an image .... then restored to another disk (same size) i think if you restore to a larger disk the worst that would happen, assuming that Clonezilla doesn't give that choice at restore, is to "re size" the disk with a partition manager after the completion of the clone/ image. Just go to Clonezilla and download the "live" download and "burn"( with "img burn" also a free whatever) the ISO CD and run it at boot time and then you can check out the available options. I have also never had to "mess" with the "MBR"in any of my recovery / clone exploits. If Clonezilla doesn't give you what you want just "Cntl/ Alt / Delete" to escape Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will give it a try

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    to "re size" the disk with a partition manager after the completion of the clone/ image.
    I do not mean to be thread digging here but I thought I would make this suggestion / recommendation to a company CloneZilla as they go hand in hand and that is GParted (Partition Manager)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Great free software to get a simple partition extension done if necessary like the above case.