New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Win XP SP3. It automatically updated yesterday as I was doing work on the pc. Everything seemed to go smoothly as usual - in fact I wasn't aware it was happening until I got the reboot warning. I let it reboot and then I got a Windows Security warning that my virus protection might be out of date. My Norton Internet Security icon on the taskbar was flashing red. The NIS system page said I needed to do a live update - which I did and I also did a basic virus scan. The update and scan were fine but NIS continued to indicate a problem. Rebooted. Same warnings persisted. Contacted Norton and was advised to uninstall and reinstall NIS using a version they gave me access to on the web, which I did. Problem continued to persist.

This morning, when checking email, I noticed the date stamp on a message I sent out just now was marked as May 1 on my Outlook Express sent folder directory. I checked the pc's date setting and lo and behold it said May 1. I set it back to April 1 and rebooted. BINGO - no warning from Windows Security and a green light on the NIS icon.

I can only assume that there was some glitch in the MS update that caused the date switch.

Thanks
    Possibly you got bitten by the IE rollup patch (which was out of band). Looks like something messed with the time-date stamps, and I betcha it was one of the March MS updates. Woody Leonhard advises not to install any of them right now. And none of the April MS Updates either.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Munro View Post
    I can only assume that there was some glitch in the MS update that caused the date switch.
    It may be that there was a glitch in a patch.

You should also consider that the battery on your motherboard may be going out if the PC is more than a couple years old. If you continue to have problems with the time particularly when you re-boot you ought to install a new battery.

Joe
    Joe