New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

First time here - loving the breadth and depth of knowledge on display.

I am hoping that someone may offer some assistance to a relative novice at this kind of thing - I have read Macropod's brilliant date/time document, and it has answered a lot of my questions but......

I am trying to create a Text Form Field in a Word 2007 Document that will accept a user input date (which won't get subsequently updated - but doesn't need to be locked) and I would like the date to be formatted including the ordinal for the day -

eg - 27th July 2010

I can get to the stage where the input is displayed as '27 July 2010' - where I am pulling my hair out is getting the 'th' dropped in there.

In the Text Form Field Options box I have tried appending the \* Ordinal switch after the d - eg d \* Ordinal MMMM YYYY but this doesn't work - I have tried a number of different alternatives, either with or without the curly brackets but nothing seems to work.

I really don't want to resort to VB and Macros - I can't help thinking there is a simple solution which I am somehow missing.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions,

Nigel

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Nigel,

With your text formfield, you could mandate a simple 8-digit entry, in the form of DDMMYYYY, then use the following 'MakeOrdinalDate' macro as the formfield's 'on exit' macro:
    Code:
    Sub MakeOrdinalDate()
    With ActiveDocument.FormFields(Selection.Range.Bookmarks(1).Name)
      If Len(.Result) = 8 Then _
        If IsDate(Left(.Result, 2) & "/" & Mid(.Result, 3, 2) & "/" & Right(.Result, 4)) Then _
          .Result = OrdinalNumber(Left(.Result, 2)) & " " & Format(CDate(Left(.Result, 2) & "/" & Mid(.Result, 3, 2) & "/" & Right(.Result, 4)), "MMMM YYYY")
    End With
    End Sub

Function OrdinalNumber(ByVal Num As Long) As String
    Dim N As Long
    N = Num Mod 100
    If ((Abs(N) > 10) And (Abs(N) < 14)) Or ((Abs(N) Mod 10) > 3) Or ((Abs(N) Mod 10) = 0) Then
      OrdinalNumber = Format(Num, "0") & Format(Abs(N), "t\h")
    Else
      OrdinalNumber = Format(Num, "0") & Format(Abs(N) Mod 10 - 2, "r\d;\st;\n\d")
    End If
    End Function
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]