Thread: Dual XP files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To make a long story short. A couple of years ago my computer got a virus. I used a program to image the drive onto another drive I installed. Having business files on the "C" drive made getting up and running quick a priority. I re-installed windows XP on the "C" drive and went back to work. I noticed my 2nd drive was now marked "D" and my DVD/CD drive was now marked "E". Plus the "D" drive was only showing it to be a 120gb HDD when it is actually 160gb. I added a partition marked "G" to use the rest of the 160gb drive.

The problem.
    Windows started up-dating it's self as soon as I re-installed it. But, windows has put some of the up-dates on "C" drive and some on "D" drive. I have a complete set of XP files on both drives. To complicate matters, there are identical program and windows files on both drives. i.e. Nero is listed in both Start menu's, C and D. Some program I installed went to C drive and some to D drive. I have run programs to find duplicate files and it usually returns over 10,000 files.

This computer works and runs good but, I really need to clean up this mess.

Help please

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    The best thing to do is backup all the data that is important to you and do a clean install formating both drives. You'll have to reinstall all your application programs. Also, you'll have many updates to install. However, this is the best approach to getting the mess cleaned up.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would upgrading to windows 7 be a better route? Would that erase any unused window files that are not needed by W7?

I have a third drive marked "F". It is a USB 250gb drive. Could I back up everything but Windows and use that to re-install programs after I up-grade or re format?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia-Dad View Post
    Would upgrading to windows 7 be a better route? Would that erase any unused window files that are not needed by W7?

I have a third drive marked "F". It is a USB 250gb drive. Could I back up everything but Windows and use that to re-install programs after I up-grade or re format?
    Yes, you'll have to clean install W7, but you can purchase the discounted "upgrade" version.
    Like Joe says, backup all your important data, ...to your external F drive if you like.
    You can then quick format the other drives; C, D, & G from within the W7 DVD while in boot mode.

A good W7 clean install guide from...
    Installing Windows 7 from TweakHound
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.