Lounger
    Thanks

Download Files (FrontPage 2000)

I have several files that I would like to make available for download via my web site. I have imported the files into the web page and establised a hyperlink. That part works ok on the published web. That is, when clicking on the hyperlink the document (.doc file) opens in Word.

However, one document is quite large and while some may choose to open it and view it online, it is really a resource document that most would download for furture reference. How do I set that up?

I will also be providing the files in pdf format. How do I set those up for downloading.

When I access the files via the established hyperlink, I am not presented with a "download" option. Is is possible to present the viewer with an option to view the document/file online or download it to their computer?

Thanks.
    Dave Sellars
    Tallahassee, FL.

Thanks

Re: Download Files (FrontPage 2000)

Check out your document link with a number of browsers. You'll find that if you are not using IE, the default behaviour is to ask the user if they want to save the file. Tell IE users to right-click on the link and choose "Save Target As". I don't know of a method for changing the default behaviour of IE (perhaps a javascript/vbascript is out there?).

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

Came across this:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.planet-source-code.com/xq/ASP/txtCodeId.2183/lngWId.2/qx/vb/scripts/ShowCode.htm>How to force download of an attachment/application using JSP</A>

Thanks

Cool!
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi JD
    Everything you mention, I do on my website. If you'd care to slip over there and have a thorough look, and find it's what you want, come back for further details. It's all done in FP 2000. For the larger doc that users may wish to dnld instead of open, zip it first before uploading. Note that not everybody has Adobe Acrobat, so make your PDF form documents also available as doc files.

If you want users to be presented with an option to 'Save' or 'Open' (i.e. view it in its associated application) the file, then if their browser doesn't do this automatically (and you don't want to invoke code changes) then get a freeware 'download resumer' such as Download Express or ESDR (available on my site at # 14b and 14c ) and make them available on your site for your users. They are small files, so quick and easy to install.

Rgds