New Lounger
    Thanks
    Last month I got a new HP desktop with Win 7 32 bit. I did a full install of Office 2003 professional and set up my IMAP account with Google. It worked/is working fine. Yesterday I signed up for another webmail account (1&1) and wanted to use Outlook to also pull down messages from it. I did the normal setup from within OUTLOOK and I know I have all the correct parameters but as soon as I click on MORE SETTINGS or NEXT, I get an error message "The requested operation failed". I then closed OUTLOOK, went to CONTROL PANEL/MAIL and set it up there. This time it accepted all the parameters. But when I come back into OUTLOOK it does not work. I then went to TOOLS, EMAIL ACCOUNTS to check it out but again I cannot do anything with it (same error message). I then installed the same Office 2003 on my laptop running Win 7 32 bit and was able to setup both the Google and non-Google IMAP accounts. So it has to be something on this desktop; I am guessing a bad registry entry or corrupt file.

I tried the DETECT and REPAIR option for OFFICE under HELP (but telling it to keep my settings). No luck.

Then, based on another suggestion, I created a new PROFILE for just the new account, and set OUTLOOK to "ask for profile" when OUTLOOK starts up. Well, even though there are 2 fully-setup profiles, I now get: "no profiles have been created. To create a new profile use the Mail icon in the control panel" (which of course I did). Then I click on OK and I get "Cannot start Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The server is not available. Contact your administrator". Yet when I went back to the control panel and MAIL there are two profiles, with one being the 'original one' and it is first in the profile list. Once I removed the new one profile that I created, OUTLOOK worked.

I know I can completely uninstall, clean up the registry and install OFFICE again but I don't want to lose all the custom setups.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong and what to try? Thanks!

PS: I also tried to set up a POP3 for this account and it got created but failed several of the tests...

UPDATE WITH MORE FRUSTRATION: Even after completely removing OFFICE, and running the MS program to remove OFFICE components, and then re-installing OFFICE 2003 from scratch (full install), the problem still exists. And I have heard back from one other person who has the same problem so it is not equipment-specific...

I also installed OFFICE 2010 Beta on this computer and it DOES let me create a new IMAP account BUT I have had it crash several times so I do not trust it....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SOLUTION: The solution to fixing this problem was to close OUTLOOK, right click on the icon, select PROPERTIES, then click on the COMPATIBILITY tab. Once there, UNCHECK the box that says "RUN IN COMPATIBILITY MODE".