New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have pointed the slideshow gadget at a custom folder, containing multiple subfolders. On occasion, when I click a picture being displayed in the slideshow, to see the larger image in the photo viewer applet - I get an error message stating that the "file was not found". I have checked the custom folder and filename showing in the error message dialog box, and the file is not there, so that part is correct.

The slides being displayed in the gadget, where are they created (what folder), how are they stored, i.e. are they thumbnail files (thumbs.db); or something else?

In other words - how does an image, that no longer exists - still show up as a slide, but then can't be opened into the larger photo viewer applet? Is there any way force the slides to be reset, so they are current/match the actual files in the folder?

The images in question are all pictures I know have had in the past, and may have been moved into other subfolders. They are also either JPG, PNG, or BMP's, or GIF.

I have tried purging old thumbnail.db files (copied from old XP installs); I have also used Diskcleanup to purge thumbnails.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ward View Post
    I have pointed the slideshow gadget at a custom folder, containing multiple subfolders. On occasion, when I click a picture being displayed in the slideshow, to see the larger image in the photo viewer applet - I get an error message stating that the "file was not found". I have checked the custom folder and filename showing in the error message dialog box, and the file is not there, so that part is correct.

The "thumbnails" being displayed in the gadget, where are they created, stored, etc? In other words - how does an image, that no longer exists - still show up as a slide, but then can't be opened into the larger photo viewer applet? Is there any way to purge the stored "thumbnails/slides" so they are current/match the actual files in the folder?

I have tried purging old thumbnail.db files (copied from old XP installs); I have also used Diskcleanup to purge thumbnails;

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Is the gadget you're using for Windows 7? I ran in to a similiar problem when I switched to 7 and later learned my problem was caused by the gadget as it was developed for Vista.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carroll View Post
    Is the gadget you're using for Windows 7? I ran in to a similiar problem when I switched to 7 and later learned my problem was caused by the gadget as it was developed for Vista.
    Yes, I am running Windows 7, sorry I didnt specify.

If as is likely, the gadget is munged; can anyone suggest a free alternative - that works similarly to the gadget? I dont really want to install the Google desktop, as that seems overkill. And I dont want a full-screen image all the time either. Recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ward View Post
    Yes, I am running Windows 7, sorry I didnt specify.
    Yes, but is the gadget for Windows 7? That was what tripped me up for months. The site where you downloaded it from should indicate if the gadget was for Vista or 7. Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It could indeed be the gadget is performing poorly. If it is using the thumbnail data base built into windows and the gadget doesn't rebuild it or allow for it to be rebuilt, you can still delete the thumbs.db file in the particular folder of interest but you need to unhide protected system files in Folder Options>View in order to see the file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carroll View Post
    Yes, but is the gadget for Windows 7? That was what tripped me up for months. The site where you downloaded it from should indicate if the gadget was for Vista or 7. Hope this helps.
    It is the one that came built in - with Windows 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    It could indeed be the gadget is performing poorly. If it is using the thumbnail data base built into windows and the gadget doesn't rebuild it or allow for it to be rebuilt, you can still delete the thumbs.db file in the particular folder of interest but you need to unhide protected system files in Folder Options>View in order to see the file.
    I deleted content of the new centralized Thumbs.db cache for Windows 7 by using Disk cleanup

I deleted all remaining thumbs.db files by using the built in Windows Search tool after I unhid the system/hidden files. I found them by using the built in Windows search tool.

(It could be that the file is hiding from the search tool default settings; thats why I was wondering where the slideshow kept its slides, and if they were in fact thumbnails at all.)