New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have several computers on a peer-to-peer lan. All computers are running Windows 7 Professional. Folders are shared on all the computers using Advanced Sharing (not the HomeGroup feature).

All works fine and all directories are available on the network as expected. However, one PC has reverted from its shared settings to not shared. This has occurred twice on this computer in the past three months. No one has disabled the shared setting, it just stops being visible on the network. When I check the Advanced Sharing settings it is unchecked. The drive that is being shared is a 1TB WD USB external drive. The drive and all files shows up fine on the local system, but sharing is disabled. I have to enable sharing again and set permissions and it's fine for a few months again.

I cannot think of how this would occur periodically, but it does. Anyone have any idea how this could be happening and how to correct whatever is causing this to occur?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have observed this happening on XP, and haven't been able to track down the reason. I don't have many good suggestions, but my WAG is it's related to many "self-preservation" functions that try to second-guess (badly) why errors occur and fix them without notifiying the op. Example: If the system hangs hard enough to require a forced, power-off shutdown, on reboot I often find firewalls re-enabled, system checks and security warnings reset; things that I had turned off as junk or unwanted features.

So in your case, does the dir sharing get turned off after a forced cold boot?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply to this problem. I think you may be on to what is causing the lost sharing setting. This now happened on another PC with an external drive. The drive was shared and one day the share drive feature was disabled. These computers are all loaded with Windows 7 Pro. The problem does appear to occur after a power outage (which happens fairly often at this location). I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the drives to ensure they are shared properly.