Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been unable to find text in pdf files when I use Windows Desktop Search even though this file type is checked in Indexing Options. I know the folder containing the pdf files has been indexed because I have no trouble finding text in Word documents that are in the same folder. I downloaded Adobe IFilter v6.0, but it appears this software didn't install (compatibility issues??). Any suggestions?

Peter

Thanks
    I have successfully found words in .pdf files. If I open a file using Adobe Reader, I can type any word I wish to search for in the search box at the top of the window, click enter and search to my hearts content. No this is not using Windows Desktop Search, but I'm not familiar with how this would work to search for a particular word in a file.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, Ted. However, your solution only works if you know which file contains the text you're looking for. Desktop Search theoretically works if you don't know where the file is. It certainly works for text files, Word files, Excel files, etc. I think Search is supposed to work for pdf files, too, but it hasn't worked for me.

Peter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a program called X1 Pro Client (paid) which will find pdf files containing a particular search term -the pdf files can be stored anywhere on my hard drives. Teh search term isn't highlighted, but I then use the search function within PDF-XChange Viewer (free) to find the exact spot where the word occurs.
    I use X1 as a replacement for Windows Search and it is an excellent program. X1 website
    Dianne

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use FoxIt PDF Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/). It has a search function that searches through all of the PDFs in a directory.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klugherz View Post
    I've been unable to find text in pdf files.
    Any suggestions?
    If the PDF was created from an IMAGE then although it may look like text it is stored as a graphic. Unless you first put it through OCR you can't expect a search to be able to index it.

stuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

this might be a completely wrong direction, as I things may have changed since I first installed desktop search, but I found (using Windows 7 search) an old email from Woody's OFFICE Watch from 17/12/2004! which stated "3. INSTALLATION Before installing MSN Toolbar Suite you should install the Adobe PDF iFilter. This will let you search the contents of PDF files. Download IFilter free from
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2611
    "

I don't know if the solution still works but I offer it as a 6 year old solution to the version then available.

Cheers

John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are running a 64 bit operating system you should install the Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms. See http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4025

Adobe currently bundles a 32-bit PDF iFilter with Adobe Acrobat® 9 as well as free Adobe Reader® 9 software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Foxit also has a free desktop ifilter for 32-bit & 64-bit Windows. See Foxit Software - Foxit PDF IFilter 2.0 for details.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    If the PDF was created from an IMAGE then although it may look like text it is stored as a graphic. Unless you first put it through OCR you can't expect a search to be able to index it.

stuck

If I can add to Stuck's comments. We went paperless (well sort of) a couple years ago and most of our documents are in pdf format. We have found that if we do not put a document through the ocr process, when scanned or converted to pdf, it saves a lot of time and space as it is a much smaller file. Anyway, my point is that a lot of pdf documents may not be readable, and therefore as Stuck indicated, search will not read them. You can test the document in question by opening it, then searching for a word using your pdf readers find function. If it cannot find words, then neither will Microsoft's search.

Dave

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, I tried to find a word (firewall) in all PDF files using Copernic Desktop Search (Professional). It displayed the titles that contained the word, but not instances of the word within files, although I admit that I didn't give it much time or try anything fancy. I have no trouble finding things within Acrobat, but I have the full version on this machine, not just the reader.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In response to peterg (post#11), I also have Copenic Desktop Search (pro) and Acrobat (Standard). Typing a search term into Copernic shows both Word and PDF files, and clicking a PDF shows the search term highlighted in Copernic's file preview. Win7's search gave the same list, plus an .mht file, but of course no preview.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I tried to find a word (firewall) in all PDF files using Copernic Desktop Search (Professional). It displayed the titles that contained the word, but not instances of the word within files, although I admit that I didn't give it much time or try anything fancy. I have no trouble finding things within Acrobat, but I have the full version on this machine, not just the reader.
    You have to have an ifilter installed to have a search product be able to access content. You have to verify the Copernic will use an ifiliter if one is available.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To the original questioner: Have you tried Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types > pdf? Click pdf and see if it says 'Index Properties Only' or 'Index Properties and FIle Contents'. I have both options available, and the second is selected (not by me, I've never been into that box before).

To JoeP: I have used Copernic Desktop Search for several years, including before I went to the full Acrobat and was just using Reader. I think that Copernic has its own PDF interpreter as I never installed a PDF ifilter.

I am using Win7 Pro, although I doubt that this is relevant.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all have responded.

> I'm using the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

> The pdf files I've been using for testing are not images. I can select the text.

> When I look at Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types, the filter description says "PDF filter".

I'm using Acrobat version 8. Should I install Reader version 9 to make sure I have the current version of IFilter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast