4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have XP Pro and IE 8. When I go to All Programs > Windows Update, I get a blank page. When I do a Google search for Microsoft Updates, I get a page telling me to make sure that my computer is set to receive updates. But, I cannot get into Windows Update! Is something wrong with my computer or is Windows XP being shut out?

I hope someone can help me on this. Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you installed Servicepack 3? I believe that support for versions prior to SP3 has gone.

Terry

Thanks
    Try going dirctly to Microsoft XP download site to check for your downloads.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Terry and Ted.

(1) Yes, I have installed SP 3.
    (2) Yes, I have attempted to go to the Microsoft XP download site directly, and each time I do so, I get the following message:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
    o Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
    o Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
    Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

I don't know what is causing this problem. It is recent.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any security software running that might be blocking ActiveX controls or some such?
    Check the browser's security settings if you haven't already.
    If its a recent and sudden change, System Restore will usually restore function if its not virus or security setting related.

Thanks
    See if the Microsoft Windows Update troubleshooter page can help:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I tried the Microsoft Troubleshooting page, but the message I was getting was not on the list. Also, I tried system restore. Each time l attempt to restore my computer to an earlier date (using the bold numbers on the calendar, i.e., system checkpolint dates) I got a message telling me that I could not restore my computer to that date. So now I am in a pickle: I can't get to Windows XP Updates and I can't restore my computer to an earlier date (despite the fact that I have a lot of system checkpoint dates). I am now wondering if my Windows XP is corrupted and if I should just go on and do a restore to factory conditions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Any security software running that might be blocking ActiveX controls or some such?
    Check the browser's security settings if you haven't already.
    If its a recent and sudden change, System Restore will usually restore function if its not virus or security setting related.
    Yes, I would definitely check your browser's security settings and other security apps as well.
    You may very well have contracted a virus or some form of malware that is preventing you from updating to a needed patch.
    Not being able to update can often be the first awareness of a malware/trojan/viral/rootkit compromised computer.
    Check through other threads in the forum on decent malware tools and run a few. I would not rely on what you have now.
    Consider them potentially compromised.

A total factory system image is not a bad idea if you are unable to determine what is actually happening.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem resolved. I lost the Active X that is necessary to use Microsoft Windows Update. Once the Active X was restored, the problem went away.

Thank you everyone for your help. It has been a very good learning experience. All of you are first class!

Have a very Good one...