New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 x64 and something is continuously accessing my hard drive. How do I ind out what it is so that I can shut it down. I am concerned that it will shorten the live of my HD.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    I have Windows 7 x64 and something is continuously accessing my hard drive. How do I ind out what it is so that I can shut it down. I am concerned that it will shorten the live of my HD.

Doug Hi and welcome

There are many ways. You can use performance monitor to viess the processes and examine which it the oofensive ones. You could also downloa a free app called Process explorer ( my favorite) to examine the same things.

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Indexing can be the cause of this. It can go on for a couple of weeks after you install Windows until it indexes all your huge hard drives. After that it should not be as active. You can turn off indexing or select drives that should not be indexed in Drive Properties. Good for external backup drives, thumb drives etc. It could also be caused by utilities that you have added.

Thanks
    Indexing is one of the biggest reasons behind hard drive thrashing, also don't forget that system restore is just as bad.
    There are also many networking functions in Windows 7 that you may have little use for, that continue to "ping away",
    trying desperately to find other computers or peripherals.

Taming some of those services may help.
    Your own post os installed software interactions will also factor into this as well to a great extent. There is alot of
    tweaking to be had on the installation and use of whatever software is installed on your system; Not everything you
    instal on your computer needs to have every little function running full throttle at system startup.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.