Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My documents and settings folder has a padlock by it. When I try to open it I get a message saying it is not accessible. Access denied. Also the My Music, My Pictures and My Videos folders in the Public Documents folder are also inaccessible. Why?
    As far as I know I am logged on as administrator. how do I check this? I am the only person who uses Windows 7 on this computer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen47 View Post
    My documents and settings folder has a padlock by it. When I try to open it I get a message saying it is not accessible. Access denied. Also the My Music, My Pictures and My Videos folders in the Public Documents folder are also inaccessible. Why?
    As far as I know I am logged on as administrator. how do I check this? I am the only person who uses Windows 7 on this computer.
    Stehhen

Win 7 uses folders differently. It has links to the legacy folders so that older apps can find and install there. You should not need acess to the locked folders but if for some reason you still want it you can take ownership of them by right clicking and permissions. Either take ownership or add yourself to the group that currently owns them

Good luck and let us know if you need help

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried right clicking properties and permission then I tried to allow "Everyone" to share but I was not able to accomplish this. Also Why is the recycle bin locked?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Stephen47,
    You mentioned your "documents and settings" folder has a padlock. To my knowledge there is NO folder called "documents and settings" in the standard Windows 7 configuration.

You also mentioned "My Music, My Pictures and My Videos folders" in the "Public Documents" folder. Again Windows 7 does NOT put these particular folders in "Public Documents".

Perhaps you were not being very precise when citing which folders were giving you problems. If that is the case you may wish to restate your problem so that readers of this column can better understand your situation.

John C

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    One quick check is to see if it is 'owned' by a different user. If you have more than one user, you cannot 'see' the other user's files. I add in haste that that is not the necessarily most likely answer, but it is a quick one to check. Just log on as the other user and see if you can see it then.

Edited to add that just because you are logged on as Administrator is not the same as having full Administrator rights (don't ask me - I didn't write the program). For that, right-click and then left-click on 'Run as Administrator'. That really just applies to programs in my mind, but I haven't checked it before posting.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    John:
    here are two screen shots. One of a folder called "documents and settings" the other of the folders I mentioned in Public documents.
    I didn't create either of these folders or their locked contents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Stephen 47

I apologize. "Documents and Settings" is, in fact, listed in C Drive. I have googled this and asked some learned friends. The "Documents and Settings" folder is said to have been placed on C Drive "for continuity purposes". It apparently does NOT have the normal properties expected of a folder and for everyday users can be ignored.

Your data should be stored in User/ My Documents, User/My Pictures, User/My Videos, and User/My Music. IF you have this structure and your data is in these folders, then I would suppose you could delete My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music from the Public Folder. Then again you might want to wait for a period of time and/or get a second opinion from a techie you can trust.

Over and out,
    John C

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This "Documents and Settings" folder is there "Hidden" so the older programs that were written to use it will be redirected to the "Users" folder.

You need to turn off the displaying of these Hidden system folders, then you will not be trying to use them. They are there for MACHINE use only, do NOT change anything including the ownership, as it just may mess things up for you.

Microsoft does hide these folders and files for real good reasons

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveA For This Useful Post:

rosep (2013-11-12)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Microsoft does hide these folders and files for real good reasons
    And the reason for hiding filename extensions is?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I said NOTHING about hiding "extensions" now did I?

I think that the hiding of ANY extension should be removed from the core of the OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I said NOTHING about hiding "extensions" now did I?

I think that the hiding of ANY extension should be removed from the core of the OS.
    Quite so. I just couldn't resist.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Most likely just to shorten the length of the name to save space. But is nothing to do with the problem outlined.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    See this thread, I believe we have covered this or something similar. Search the forum.

It's part of a wider security modicum designed by Microsoft in consultation and collaboration with advice from the NSA,
    designed to protect you from yourself.

Just look at my avatar and believe me.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.