New Lounger
    Thanks
    I often receive emails with links for files I am supposed to download by right clicking and then "save target as." But when I right click on them I only get a few option, like "copy link," etc. but no way to save the target to disk. Is there any way I can get a "save target as" item in my Outlook 2007 right click menu? I have looked at tools/options and cannot see anything there that would let me do that.

Lloyd

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Leiderman View Post
    I often receive emails with links for files I am supposed to download by right clicking and then "save target as." But when I right click on them I only get a few option, like "copy link," etc. but no way to save the target to disk.
    I've never seen an option to Save Target As... in an email message. Are you sure the sender isn't thinking of Outlook Express or another program?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    I often receive emails with links for files I am supposed to download by right clicking and then "save target as." But when I right click on them I only get a few option, like "copy link," etc. but no way to save the target to disk. Is there any way I can get a "save target as" item in my Outlook 2007 right click menu?
    The files in links I receive can be directly opened by their app by left-clicking them. You may get a dialog asking if you want to open or save the file, or if you have already checked the system option to trust files of this type, the file will open in the default app.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I've never seen an option to Save Target As... in an email message. Are you sure the sender isn't thinking of Outlook Express or another program?
    The emails do not "have" and option to save target as. It is just the sender writing text in the message telling me to right click and then to "save target as."
    But when I right click, all the popup menu lets me do is select, open or copy the hyperlink.

When I left click the link, it usually ends up just flashing something on my screen very quickly, but I can't see it because it is gone too fast. I am thinking that there much be some setting in my setup for Windows, or Office, or Outlook itself; but I don't know at all what such a setting might be.

Anyway. I was just hoping someone might know some way to get save target as into the rightclick menu for a link in an email. But it sounds like I am just asking for too much. (I still think it is weird, though, that people who send them to me, must think it is possible to do what they tell me to! I guess I will just write to the sender about this next time I receive one.)

Lloyd

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The way links in an email work for me is that I have to click on the hyperlink to open my web browser, and then the file can typically be downloaded by clicking on a button on the web page. There are some serious security issues with automatically downloading a file from an email message, and I don't want to be able to do that.
    Wendell

Thanks
    The emails do not "have" and option to save target as. It is just the sender writing text in the message telling me to right click and then to "save target as."
    But when I right click, all the popup menu lets me do is select, open or copy the hyperlink.
    It would work on a webmail site such as Yahoo!, Hotmail, or GMail. Maybe that's what the sender uses, so they just assumed everyone would have that option.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    The way links in an email work for me is that I have to click on the hyperlink to open my web browser, and then the file can typically be downloaded by clicking on a button on the web page. There are some serious security issues with automatically downloading a file from an email message, and I don't want to be able to do that.
    Wendell, an email message can also contain a direct link to a file, which is usually safe within the confines of an intranet. The product in this post here replaces a saved attachment with a link to open the file when the message is reopened.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, all, for the discussion.

Just for general interest, the way I have been getting around my inability to download files directly from emails is to go into edit mode in the email; cut the link; then paste it into my browser. That will usually bring up the download box okay, and I can then save the file to disk. But sometimes not even that works. So in that case, I cut the link, and paste it into an xxx statement in a little html file I keep on hand for this purpose. Then I double click on that file in Windows explorer, which brings it up in my browser. Then when I rightclick on that link in my own file, it does have the save target as link and I can then download the target file. That is quite a rigamarole to go through, though, so that is why I was looking for some way to do it directly from the email. I was hoping for some secret way to add items to the right click menu. But it seems like none exist.

Lloyd