Hi all,

When I built a new XP system in May 2009, using a new Asus P5QL mobo, it meant reinstalling everything from scratch. When time came to get the network running, I encountered a connect/disconnect problem that just about drove me crazy. My system would connect ok, then the CPU would spike to 100% and hang, and I would have to reboot to get out of this loop.

Thinking an upgrade to SP3 would fix it was a mistake. I spent a fruitless week (using another PC) scouring the net for a solution but nothing. Even the OEM service folks who supplied me with the hardware parts were stumped and they were experts.

In despair I searched the net once more, googling every search term I could think of.

By pure chance I came across one site that looked promising and worked my way down the page. Nothing worked - except one solution (Post No.27) offered by Charles Rippert. THAT one worked...instantly! Since I last visited this thread it's grown hugely so I imagine this problem has troubled many. Charles says:

The procedure describe above didn’t help on my computers.
Deleting the Value “NetworkService = DnsCache” in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WinNT\CurrentVersion\SvcHo st
did the trick for me on a lot of systems.

(SME-Admin of 50+ PCs/NBs)
If you're one of the folks hanging in there with XP for one reason or another, this thread and its solution may save you endless time and suffering

Cheers ~ John