4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have a very small hard drive. The used space is 17.1 GB and the unused space is 17.8 GB. Should I be giving serious thought to getting a larger hard drive about now?

Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I presume you have a 40GB HDD (unformatted) installed. That's quite small for these days!

But let's be honest, if you only have 17GB data now, what data are you planning to add to use up a significant portion of the remainder? I know disk space is as cheap as chips these days, but I am thinking that if your computer only has a 40GB drive, is it up to the tasks you plan for its use?

Terry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It depends on what you do with the system that may occupy space in the near future. One of my video files is over 38 gigs so it wouldn't even fit on that entire drive! I also have a much smaller drive on one system than you do (8.3 Gigs) and as long as I maintain about 1.3 gigs of free space, no problems; if I don't watch it and it sinks down to about 700 MB I start getting hangups and severe slow downs.

As it is now for your drive (about 50/50 occupied to free) it doesn't affect function at all. If you get down to 15% free space, things start getting a little crowded and the recycle bin, system restore and temp files and pagefile need about that much "breathing room."

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Terry and Byron for your response and help.

My small C: drive houses my operating system, and I am attempting to use it only for Microsoft Windows XP and Office 2007 updates. If and when it should get down to 15% or 20% unused, I will then see about getting a larger disk.