New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook doesn't shut down

I have had, but not used, Outlook on my computer for some time. A couple of months ago I decided to abandon Outlook Express in favour of Outlook, and it works fine.
    The problem I have is that almost inevitably, when I shut down the computer Outlook refuses to shut off, and I have to do it manually (and face the threat that data may be lost if I take that action !)
    It was suggested elsewhere that the problem would be solved if I just closed it myself when I finished using it, rather than leaving Windows to do it, but at least 9 out of ten times it still sits there at shutdown.
    Occasionally it is not Outlook.exe still on, but OutlookFbThreadWnd.
    Can anyone suggest a solution to what is an annoying rather than serious problem ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Power View Post
    The problem I have is that almost inevitably, when I shut down the computer Outlook refuses to shut off, and I have to do it manually (and face the threat that data may be lost if I take that action !)
    It was suggested elsewhere that the problem would be solved if I just closed it myself when I finished using it, rather than leaving Windows to do it, but at least 9 out of ten times it still sits there at shutdown.
    How old a version are you using? Over the years, there have been problems with some Outlook add-ins and some external software (e.g., PDA sync software) keeping Outlook.exe running even after the visible UI closes. This issue tends to be difficult to track down because (as far as I know) Windows doesn't provide straightforward tools for identifying which process, if any, is preventing another process from unloading.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    when I shut down the computer Outlook refuses to shut off, and I have to do it manually (and face the threat that data may be lost if I take that action !)
    Occasionally it is not Outlook.exe still on, but OutlookFbThreadWnd.
    Are you on Exchange? OutlookFbTreadWnd is the Free/Busy status check. If you have Outlook 2003 be sure that you have applied all service packs. Depending on your version (which would be helpful to know), you may find Outlook closes properly if you look for the following Registry key (11.0 is for Outlook 2003, find 12.0 if you are using Outlook 2007) :

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\O utlook\Options\Calendar\Internet Free/Busy
    and set the Value: NoService to Data: 1

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;827775
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank for the responses folks.
    The detail I should have included is that I have Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6521.5000).
    This evening I will have a look at the registry alteration as suggested, and will post the results.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not familiar with the Registry, so I can only hope I have followed the instruction properly (I know enough to respect the importance of the registry, and wouldn't alter anything unless it was clearly in line with instructions).
    I followed the direction through Office\12\Outlook\Options\Calendar\ but at that point it doesn't mention \Internet Free/Busy.
    What I have there is.....

Default REG_SZ (Value not set)
    CalDefEnd REG_DWORD 0x000003fc(1020)
    CalDefStart REG_DWORD 0x000001e0(480)
    WorkDay REG_WORD 0x0000007c(124)

I trust I have not misunderstood the direction, but this of course means nothing to me, and is obviously not the place I am looking for.

Any suggestions ?
    Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Any suggestions ?
    Running out of ideas. Looks like you are not on Exchange, right? What antivirus software are you using on Outlook, and is any separate AntiSpam service running other than the one MS provides as part of Outlook?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again and thanks for the interest.
    No I am not on Exchange.
    My ISP offers a free subscription to a suite from McAfee for all broadband customers, so that was my main defence until 3 days ago, at which time I removed McAfee entirely and installed a 30 day free trial of VipreAntivirus Premium from Sunbelt Software.
    By coincidence that seems to remove one prospective solution, since that change made no difference to Outlook behavior !
    The ISP (xtra is the internet branch of NZ Telecom) uses YahooXTRA Pro Mail software for email, and although I don't use it, it does have a Spam filter which I check from time to time for erroneous blocks.
    Windows Defender runs in the background, and I also have WinPatrol Plus running.
    For some years I have used Firetrust's MailWasher Pro to preview and monitor email prior to downloading from the servers, and that does mark suspect messages for Spam or virus contamination.
    Some years ago, on a long forgotten computer, I had a problem which caused me to install Belarc Advisor, and Everest by Lavalys, which apparently report upon the 'innards' of the computer to provide the details required by experts such as yourself, in order to detect faults and problems.
    It seems that in data transfer from old to new computers I have retained both pieces of software, so if a report from either - or both - might help you to determine where the conflict might lay, please just let me know what you would like me to provide.
    The only thing WinPatrol reveals in the list of things running, which just might have a bearing on the matter is CTFMON.EXE, but that looks to me like something best left alone !
    I hope I have presented you with some further avenues for research.
    Cheers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Outlook shutdown problems are usually as a result of an addin waiting for a response. That includes anti-virus products, synchronization software, third party toolbars, etc.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

This worked for me...

Quote Originally Posted by beyondallken View Post
    I am not familiar with the Registry, so I can only hope I have followed the instruction properly (I know enough to respect the importance of the registry, and wouldn't alter anything unless it was clearly in line with instructions).
    I followed the direction through Office\12\Outlook\Options\Calendar\ but at that point it doesn't mention \Internet Free/Busy.
    What I have there is.....

Default REG_SZ (Value not set)
    CalDefEnd REG_DWORD 0x000003fc(1020)
    CalDefStart REG_DWORD 0x000001e0(480)
    WorkDay REG_WORD 0x0000007c(124)

I trust I have not misunderstood the direction, but this of course means nothing to me, and is obviously not the place I am looking for.

Any suggestions ?
    Thanks.
    Your are going to need to add the DWORD key to the list you mention here. I was experiencing this same issue where it would hang on shut down. I'm running Outlook 2007 in Windows XP.

I added "NoService to Data" with a value of 1 to the list of what you have mentioned and then tried launching Outlook. Once it was fully launched, I shut it down and I have to say, this is the first time in a while it went completely closed on its own almost as soon as I finished clicking the X (I usually watch the system tray for the Outlook icon to go away).

See if that works for you.

BTW: @JohnBF - thanks for the info!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jammeaze For This Useful Post:

mixz1 (2011-04-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beyondallken View Post
    Thank for the responses folks.
    The detail I should have included is that I have Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 .
    Same problem here with OL07. The problem went away after I upgraded to Office (and therefore Outlook) 2010.
    Jim Johnson
    Michigan's Lake Superior region
    How much snow do we have now?
    Visit Agate Reef

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammeaze View Post
    Your are going to need to add the DWORD key to the list you mention here. I was experiencing this same issue where it would hang on shut down. I'm running Outlook 2007 in Windows XP.

I added "NoService to Data" with a value of 1 to the list of what you have mentioned and then tried launching Outlook. Once it was fully launched, I shut it down and I have to say, this is the first time in a while it went completely closed on its own almost as soon as I finished clicking the X (I usually watch the system tray for the Outlook icon to go away).

See if that works for you.

BTW: @JohnBF - thanks for the info!
    This cured the problem for me. Thank you. But I believe you need to remove the spaces from the new DWORD NoService to Data so that it reads NoServicetoData.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Outlook shutdown problems are usually as a result of an addin waiting for a response. That includes anti-virus products, synchronization software, third party toolbars, etc.

Joe
    Apple, possibly among other vendors, has the annoying habit of adding Outlook add-ins without your consent or even a notification of the fact. Apple's "iTunes Outlook Addin" will, in my experience, prevent Outlook from fully terminating, even though it's window will disappear. In other words, this add-in will keep the Outlook process running in the background even when you think you have closed the application.

This behavior is entirely possible with any number of other add-ins and, since Apple adds its add-in silently and stealthily, you may never be aware that an Outlook add-in has been "added."

I suggest that you run Outlook; go to the Tools menu; select the Options... command; click on the Other tab; click on the Advanced Options... button; and, finally, click on both the Add-In Manager... button and the COM Add-Ins... button (one at a time) to see what might have been installed without you knowing it. You may have to experiment with unchecking various add-ins to find out whether one of them is the culprit.