New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a home network and my case PC is connected to a router.I don't have problems connecting to the Internet but all three other family members have notebook computers and their Internet connection fades in and out (mostly out).

Any ideas, anyone?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude Alain View Post
    My problem is similar but diffirent in that I have a home network and my case PC is connected to a router.I don't have problems connecting to the Internet but all three other family members have notebook computers and their Internet connection fades in and out (mostly out).

Any ideas, anyone?
    Possibly repositioning your wireless router could help. You or your neighbors could be causing interference with the wireless signal. (And interference can come from all sorts of electrical and radio-frequency sources, not just routers.) If all else fails, maybe upgrade to Wireless-N or N+, which have greater range and two frequency ranges to choose from.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Possibly repositioning your wireless router could help. You or your neighbors could be causing interference with the wireless signal. (And interference can come from all sorts of electrical and radio-frequency sources, not just routers.) If all else fails, maybe upgrade to Wireless-N or N+, which have greater range and two frequency ranges to choose from.
    I agree, it does sound as though the router is an older model, probably using an older wireless standard. These do have interference problems with neighbors systems during heaviers use timeframes. Moving may help, or an updated router, possibly dual band.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Indeed, I'm using a SMC Networks 802.11g wireless 4-port broadband router. I've ben using it for less than a year without any problems. Things began acting up only a few a few weeks ago.

While running Network Diagostics for Windows XP (Home Edition SP3) on my wife's notebook computer yestreday, it came up with the following message, in part (I'm paraphrasing here because the Fench version of Windows):

" Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP' HTTPS or FTP, probably because of this computer's he firewall parameters.

Verify the parameters of the firewall for port HTTP (80), port HTTPS (443) and port FTP (21)".

I'm am reluctant to start playing around with the computer's firewall or it's ports mainly because I'm not very knowledgeable in these areas.

All three notebooks can connect to networks outside the house. The problem lies within our house. Presumably with my router.

I've tried repositioning the notebooks (bringing close close to the router and even repositioning the router itself but nothing works. Connexion from the notebooks to the router and the Internet is established for a few seconds then drops off, reconnects again, drop, and so on. Short of buying an upgraded router, is there anything else a can verify, with my present router's configuration, for example?

C. Alain

Thanks
    Claude, have you checked with the router manufacturer for a firmware update? If they have an update available, it would be a quick thing to do, and perhaps it may help with the wireless connection issue.

Another thing to check is if you can change the channel on which your wireless is operating. There should be several channel possibilities, each one utilizing a slightly different frequency of the 2.4 Ghz band of wireless G. Some routers default to Channel 6, and I believe Channel 1 and 11 are also used quite a bit. If some other signal source is interfering with your wireless this might help.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could install this program on your laptop and see what you really have as far as wireless signal.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald, I installed the most recent updates for my router but found no noticeable improvement in internet connection for the notebook computers. However, my router was set at channel 11 and I tried changing it to channel 6 for the heck of it and voilà! Two of the three notebooks (one of my daughters is away for a few days) have had uninterruped internet connection for the last couple of days. Many thanks for your invaluable advice.
    C.A.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back your solution. Hopefully it will help others who experience the same difficulties.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill