New Lounger
    Thanks
    My question: Is Word 97 a 16 bit application? If you're curious, ask me why I need to know.
    Chazvan

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Chazvan,

AFAIK, Word 97 is a strictly 32-bit app. It may have some 16-bit (or even 8-bit) code in it, but IIRC it only ever worked in 32-bit versions of Windows. If you've got the original CD case, it should state the minimum OS requirements.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz Van View Post
    My question: Is Word 97 a 16 bit application? If you're curious, ask me why I need to know.
    Chazvan,

You can't leave that hanging out there, without someone biting: OK, why do you need to know?

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, macropod.
    Gary, here's why I asked: I have both Microsoft Works 2002, Word 10 (installed on my Dell), and my Word 97 that I actually use because I have WOPR with it. I'm trying to change the file association for ".doc" to Word 97, but I get the message that the doc file I'm trying to use to change the association from Word 10 "is not a valid Win32 application". After trying several documents, even one created in Word 10, to change the association, I assumed it must be Word 97 that wasn't 32 bit, even though that seemed crazy.
    I guess I can suffer having Word 10 be the file association. It's really the principle of the thing that aggravates me. All of the Word upgrades after 97 are too intrusive and treat us like idiots who need Microsoft's help in typing anything. Bless Woody for his WOPR. Pity he couldn't fix the others.

Thanks for listening.
    Chazvan

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Chazvan,

What OS are you trying to run Office '97 & 2010 on? Did you install '97 first and verify that it was working before installing Office 2010? Also, is the Office 2010 instal the beta or RTM version? you really shouldn't install the beta in the same environment that you use for day-to-day work.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]