New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys:
    I bought a new monitor a 22" AOC and after five days or so it broke down. Nothing but lines and funny colours on the screen. I took it back, and it was exchanged for another, but after 10 to 15 minutes of use the same thing happened.
    Then I thought that something serious MUST be wrong, so I took it back to the dealer and this time I changed to an Acer 22". However before installing, I had a bright idea that my video card (ATI Raedon 500) MUST be the real culprit. I had NO EVIDENCE and no empirical findings to base my feelings on, so I bought a new video card(G- Force with fan and 3 MB memory) and installed it before hooking up the new monitor. Voila! All is now well for several months now.
    But I still worry about the ATI card. Could it have been the real problem? Should I toss it in the trash?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Could it have been the real problem? - It could have been - it would be unusual, but possible.

Should I toss it in the trash? - As you've got a new one, and on the basis that testing it just might possibly damage your new monitor - yes, toss it away.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your old monitor (prior to purchasing your first 22" AOC) was a smaller monitor using a lower resolution or possibley the VGA output and not the DVI output, it may be your graphics card was faulty all along. Purchasing the new monitor running at a higher resolution may have tipped it over the top and something was overstressed after a few minutes operation. There was a notorious case where a Taiwanese capacitor manufacturer sent out millions of (known) dodgy capacitors and the symptoms you describe are similar (display sometime described as looking like zigzag tartan).

There maybe wasn't anything wrong with the monitors you returned and it was the graphics card all along.

Terry