Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    hi

In Word2007 Im in the process of setting up a custom theme for our corporate brand colours.

The company has 8 colours.

In WordXP Ive setup a custom menu with our company colours. see screen capture.
    Of course there are no standards in Microsoft, so in ExcelXP and PowerpointXP Ive had to setup something different.
    Im trying to replicate the company colours in Word2007 under Document Themes.
    and not having much luck

In the MS article it mentions we can only have 4 text colours, 6 accent colours (i dont even know what an accent is?) and hyperlink colours.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...299241033.aspx

1. is there anyway we can set the colour themes to the amount we require?

2. is there a way to get document themes working?

I saw this Woodys post. This isnt applicable as I dont want colours set on heading 1 - 9

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...1&#entry732559

diana

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    see WordXP solution to easily access company colours. to apply corporate colours to font, tables or shapes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Diana,

Some quick testing of Themes in Word 2007 (I haven't used them to date in any projects) gives the following results:

Open new blank document, insert text and apply: Heading 1, Heading 2, Subtitle and Normal. Note that all styles have their 'out of the box' definitions.
    If I then display the Themes gallery, and hover over each of the options in turn, all of the paragraphs in the document change to provide a preview for changing to that particular Theme.

So, Themes can be made to apply to built-in styles.

However: I then create another new document, this time based on a Word 2007 template I've created, which features custom modifications for all of built-in styles.
    If I then display the Themes gallery and hover over each option in turn, absolutely nothing happens - the styles all remain unchanged.

This seems to be saying that if you want to use Themes, you've got to be in a document that features the built-in styles in their unmodified, out of the box state.
    And that there's some logic built into the Themes feature, that leaves styles alone if it detects that they have been modified in any way.

That's actually pretty smart, because it makes the Themes feature available for casual users, but avoids messing with intentional style customizations.
    (I wish the Style Sets feature had similar intelligence - it's still possible to blow out a carefully constructed set of styles, by applying one of the Style Set options.)

Maybe you could look into using Style Sets to do what you need?

You could also still implement a solution similar to what you had in XP - it will just take more doing, as you'll need to create custom Ribbon elements to do it.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Gary

What you are seeing is expected because your template has styles which have their colours defined exactly instead of with a variable colour. This is an evolution on how colours could be chosen on earlier versions of Powerpoint - you could define a colour exactly or you could choose a position in the theme colours.

In a Word 2007 template, each paragraph style is assigned a specific colour which can be defined in two different ways:
    1. The colour is static and has fixed RGB values independent of the colour theme chosen
    2. The colour is a variable (theme) based on a core palette of colours with a series of tints.

If you apply the variable colours to your styles then changing the colour theme will change these style colours. This is the critical difference between your own template styles and those built-in styles you tested. The earlier versions of Word only had the static colours so the templates created there didn't have the ability to define the colours with a theme.

If you were to use the theme colours (see screenshot) for your custom styles then changing the theme would change the colours.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Gary

Internal people think Document Themes works one way.

Ive researched Document Themes and its behaviour is not how these people expect.

In a nutshell for Document Themes to work you have to setup templates with heading styles.

However the requirement is just to change selected text, font, shape or table and easily apply corporate branding colours.

What Ive seen users do is print out the style guide that contains the exact corporate colours . each time they need corporate branding colour they manually set the Red, Blue & Green colours - see screen capture.

Note we already have company templates that contain branding fonts etc.

In Word 2007, Ive re-created the drop down list. see screen capture.

I was just wanting to easily set and apply a "feature/function" thats standard and used across the core microsoft applications eg Word, Excel & powerpoint.

many thanks again Gary

diana

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Diana

I agree that there is a disconnect between what your users expect themes to do and what they actually do. Whilst you could create a theme which included all your corporate colours into it, this would actually be much more problematic for users since if they actually use the theme colours to format their text with local formatting, a change to the theme colours would change the text. In this case, that would be a bad thing since you are trying to restrict the final documents to a defined colour set.

The use of themes is good from a marketer's perspective but if you are trying to enforce a corporate-standard colour scheme then using colours defined absolutely is the only way to go. IMO the use of style sets and themes is an alternative to corporate template design not an enhancement.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Andrew...yes your right I agree

diana

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Andrew,

Good points - thanks for clarifying.

An interesting wrinkle which corroborates your points, based on playing around a bit further: I assigned one of the Theme colors to Heading 1 in my custom template, and then went in and made note of the resultant RGB values. Then for Heading 2, I apply the same color as applied to Heading 1, but do it via setting the RGB values.

In the respective style definitions, Heading 1 says font color is "Accent 6", while for Heading 2 the font color is given as RGB values.

When I then go and apply Themes via the gallery, Heading 1 changes color, and Heading 2 does not.

I hadn't focused on this before, but now I think the change in the way the font color palette is presented in Word 2007 is really unfortunate: in earlier versions of Word, you were given a selection of 40 colors to choose from, before having to resort to "More colors". Word 2007's font color palette presents you with a selection of 60 Theme colors, and then a measly selection of 10 Standard colors along the bottom. This means most users are going to choose and apply the variable Theme colors.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The biggest problem of using a customised theme is the portability factor. Even if you could make a theme of your personal/corporate colours and then format your document accordingly, what happens when you send the document to another user or client who does not have the same theme available? Whilst I don't know the answer to this question, since the theme thmx file is stored separately in an obscure folder on your own hard disk, the chance of the other person having this file is very low.

The result of this oversight by Microsoft is that the colours of documents formatted with customised colour themes will almost always be completely different when viewed on another PC (or even on the same PC with a different user profile). This same problem exists if you are using external stylesets (stored as templates somewhere else on your hard disk).

Give me specific colours self-contained in the document any day - at least I know my clients will see the same document colours as I intended.