2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi gang,
    Working on a French Canadian version of Word 2002 SP3. I am trying to mail merge and I can't seem to be able to put the JobTitle as part of the address.
    When I select my fields using the MailMerge Toolbar the following code gets inserted:
    { MERGEFIELD “Titre” } { MERGEFIELD “Prénom” } { MERGEFIELD “Nom” }
    {The word "Titre" here refers to salutation (Mr., Mrs, etc.). The actual job title I can't find in the list. It does not exist.
    In Outlook the actual field that contains the job title in the layout is named "JobTitle" and the value is set to "Job Title"
    I typed in Word { MERGEFIELD “Job Title” } and tried { MERGEFIELD “JobTitle” } but got an error message saying the field does not exist in the data source.
    How can I insert that field in my letter to get the person's title in there?

And while I have you there, I thought there was a way to tell Word not to print blank field so I don't get blank lines when the info is not there.
    Thanks.
    Johanne Champagne
    Montreal (Quebec) CANADA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think your issue stems from the use of a custom field that Outlook cannot find. I believe the English version uses "Salutation" for the field name you have as "Titre" and that is where Word Merge expects to find Mr, Mrs, Ms, etc. You should be able to insert a field using the button on the Mail Merge toolbar that drops down a list of available fields - I suspect you will find that "JobTitle" is not there, and is actually a custom field. Are you using Outlook 2002 as well?
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC@OR View Post
    Working on a French Canadian version of Word 2002 SP3. I am trying to mail merge and I can't seem to be able to put the JobTitle as part of the address.
    Hmmm, this isn't very promising for users of Outlook 2002:

Note The Job Title field is now available for mail merge in Microsoft Office Word 2007.
    Source: How to tell the difference between field names in an Outlook contact list and in a Word mail merge

The traditional remedy is to use Outlook's mail merge feature, rather than Word's. If you open the relevant Contacts folder in Outlook, then according to post #730366, you can start a merge using Tools > Mail Merge.

Does that work? I haven't tried it myself.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This will never work. The JobTitle field is not available from Word in Office 2002 and I can't start the mail merge via Outlook because we use Outlook 2003.
    Tks guys for your help.
    Johanne Champagne
    Montreal (Quebec) CANADA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC@OR View Post
    This will never work. The JobTitle field is not available from Word in Office 2002 and I can't start the mail merge via Outlook because we use Outlook 2003.
    In that case, it sounds as though exporting the desired Contact records to, for example, an Access table or Excel sheet, would give you the best result.