New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running IE 8, win XP Pro SP3. When I try and use browser it will not load a page and remain loaded.
    It keeps reloading and says tab has recovered, but it starts all over again. I only use it for certain pages
    however I can't use it at all now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jerry

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    It appears that your home page has a serious problem on it. With IE not running go to Control Panel | Internet Options and set your home page to something like www.google.com or www.bing.com. Those are very simple pages that should not have an problem being rendered.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running IE8 on winxp3 DSL and since recent last patch have had tons of problems with pages freezing and errors etc.
    my home page is always google.com
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Mosie - Try un-installing the last patch to see if that fixes the problem - sometimes patches create greater problems than they're trying to fix.

Jerry - I had an IE problem similar to yours in a Vista machine but when I installed all the latest IE patches, the problem went away. Do you have all the IE updates installed?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried all that has been mentioned with little results. I think my problem started
    when I installed SP 3, I had taken it off and for some reason and added it back
    because Microsoft is not going to update SP 2 in July and it started then. I have
    all other updates added. Did I read somewhere that if you had IE 8 already installed
    and added SP 3 it could cause problems. I might be wrong on that but I can't figure
    out why it's not working.
    Any way thanks for suggestions, any others would be appreciated.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Johnson View Post
    I tried all that has been mentioned with little results. I think my problem started
    when I installed SP 3, I had taken it off and for some reason and added it back
    because Microsoft is not going to update SP 2 in July and it started then. I have
    all other updates added. Did I read somewhere that if you had IE 8 already installed
    and added SP 3 it could cause problems. I might be wrong on that but I can't figure
    out why it's not working.
    Any way thanks for suggestions, any others would be appreciated.
    Have you tired running IE with addons disabled?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried running IE with all addons disabled and still no luck.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Johnson View Post
    I have tried running IE with all addons disabled and still no luck.
    What happens if you change your home page to "about:blank" (without the quotation marks)?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thats the way it's set up and that page loads, but if I click on a favorite it starts and continue to reload.
    It does not matter if it is a Microsoft page or what ever it does it. I can not use IE 8 at all.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    See Internet Explorer open with a blank page instead of web site. Even though it mentions IE6 you can try reregistering the dlls to see if that helps.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had multiple problems with IE-8 on several computers, with screens failing to load or freezing. I am convinced after multiple trials with multiple fixes from multiple sources that indeed it relates to SP3. My solution was finally to stop using IE-8. I am now using Firefox without any problems (although if someone could give me a fix that really works, I would go back to IE-8).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds very similar to issues I was having which were related to DEP. In IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security section and remove the checkmark for the option "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks". Close/reopen the browser.

You can always change it back, but this fixed the same issue for me (SP Pro/SP3/IE8).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried removing check mark and restarting IE but it did no good, still restarting and then
    freezing and has to shut down. I finally got all my parts and tomorrow I am rebuilding my
    computer, new motherboard, HD and Win 7 so hopefully this will solve my problem. Many
    thanks for all the help even though it did not solve my problem.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry,

Good luck with the new PC and congrats on your choice of Win 7. I think after some minor learning and a short adjustment period you will love it. To help with customization to suit your needs try How To Geek for hundreds of tips and tricks. Sorry about getting slightly off topic but I have nothing informative to add on your predicament. I also suspect it has to do with XP SP3 and IE8 combo.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, that's your homepage! Something is seriously wrong with it! I've run Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 for quite some time now and never had a problem like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    It appears that your home page has a serious problem on it. With IE not running go to Control Panel | Internet Options and set your home page to something like www.google.com or www.bing.com. Those are very simple pages that should not have an problem being rendered.

Joe