New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Windows 7 Contacts, when I try to export my contact list I'm given an option to export to CSV or .vcf.

Reading the help files associated with the Export Windows Contacts function, it appears that both of these formats are appropriate for exporting to either older versions of Windows or another operating system (.vcf), or the generic file format for databases and spreadsheets (CSV).

There is no clear option for exporting to another computer running the exact same OS, Windows 7.

Which one should I use to get the most accurate export/import experience?

Or can I just copy a file containing all the contact info and send it to the other computer? If so, where is this file?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi Morgan, and welcome to the Lounge!

I would just export in either format and import the file on the other Windows 7 machine. Are you using Windows Live Contacts or do you use a third party application for your contacts? Windows Live Contacts will import both .csv and .vcf file formats too.

The Windows Explorer Contacts folder is stored by default in %UserProfile%\Contacts.

Windows Live Contacts does not share information with that folder, so if you have contacts in the %UserProfile%\Contacts folder that you want to import into Windows Live Contacts, you can do so by choosing Import, Address Book for Current Windows User in the Windows Live Contacts drop down menu. This import feature will not filter any contact duplicates, so you will have to find and delete any duplications.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Are you using Windows Live Contacts or do you use a third party application for your contacts?

The Windows Explorer Contacts folder is stored by default in %UserProfile%\Contacts.
    Well, I'm using the Windows Explorer Contacts only, on both computers. I've moved away from Windows Live Mail on both and am using a popular web based email now.
    Actually, I'm just using the Windows Explorer Contacts to group and manage contacts on my iphone. I'm not merging any contacts between the two computers. I just want them to be the same. (I use one computer for 2 weeks, then the other for 2 weeks) I think I should be able to just drag and copy the %UserProfile%\Contacts folder to a flash drive then transfer it to the other computer and have it replace the one already there. Either that or empty the Contacts folder before importing via CSV, to avoid duplicates. At any rate, that's all I'm doing; trying to keep the Windows Explorer Contact folders synced between the two computes.

It had slipped by me that Windows Explorer contacts is not the same as Windows Live contacts. I guess I knew this when I set up 7 for the first time, but I must have forgotten this detail.

Thanks for your comments.

ML